• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I.Am.Going.To.SCREAM.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I.Am.Going.To.SCREAM.

Had a letter from HMRC Southend this weekend. Stating that as their "records show" they received no VAT return for Sept-Nov 09, they have "by virtue of their statutory powers" assessed the amount of tax payable as £4678.00. Payable immediately.

The (nil) return was sent back as soon as I received it. I remember posting the effing thing outside Tesco.

Should I send VAT returns recorded - do you lot?

There is a number for the laughingly titled "National Advice Service" on the letter.

I have been calling this number for days and days and days. For ever. After a prolonged period of "press this for that" and "press that for this", the nice recorded-voice-lady says "oops, we're terribly busy at the moment, eating cakes and laughing at your expense. Perhaps you could call back at another time? Bye for now!" THEN HANGS UP ON ME!

I have written a very sarcastic response, which I have posted to the Southend offices, making it clear that payment will certainly not be forthcoming.

The fact I am working for (one of) the IT service providers to HMRC and visit those stinking offices, made it super tempting to try and deliver it in person.

Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Should I send VAT returns recorded - do you lot?
    No, I do mine online.

Comment

Similar thing happen to me…

I paid the VAT via online banking, and posted the return. Got a similar assessment saying I owe £x (which was actually less then what I owed!).
      Called them and spoke to someone who fiddled around on the PC, said my return had been “lost” but money had been received so they will send me a duplicate return to complete and send back. No need for further payment…

Did this and got a demand for the VAT due (which I had paid 2 months ago before deadline)…

Comment

Same happened to me, resolved in the end by resubmitting my VAT return, with NO further payment.
        Beer
        is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
          No, I do mine online.

Well yeah, in future mine will be, so a moot point I guess.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I pay online and currently post the vat form normal 1st class.

At least if the form goes missing they'll have the payment.

I think everyone will have to file it online soon.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              I think everyone will have to file it online soon.
              From this April... everyone with a turnover over £100k or everyone who registers for VAT after that will have to do it online.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                At least if the form goes missing they'll have the payment.
                I paid them - they lost the form - i got a snotogram. Apparently it's not squared away unless they have the green paper in their filing cabinet.

Tell me the online system does away with the VAT form?
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                  Tell me the online system does away with the VAT form?
                  Yes, it does.... I don't get the little green forms anymore.

Comment

I'm guessing it has been lost due to HMRC still using envelopes with the wrong postcode printed on them.
                    The correct address and the one I have been using by amending the envelope they send out with the return is:

VAT Controller
                    VAT Central Unit
                    BD98 1YY

Posted mine yesterday and hope it arrives safely.

(Ironic, as have just been on the phone to HMRC regarding a penalty notice they have sent me about a Ltd I setup a few years ago but which never traded. Despite advising all the relevant departments within HMRC of this at the time and being assured all relevant systems have been updated, I received a nice penalty notice at the weekend. Called to discuss and resolve but got the standard "put it in writing" response. Still waiting on written confirmation from these muppets regarding a letter I sent them in December regarding NI payments from several years ago so, I feel your pain!)

Comment

Working...
                    X