• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self-assessment issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-assessment issues

Self-Assessment question
    I was employed by a firm abroad for a short time on a remote, 95% work-at-home gig. I was on a payroll and paid into a bank account abroad (better, as the gig was paying in euros). I was largely free to work whatever hours (and whenever) I chose. The income was taxed abroad, on the basis that I was non-resident. Some of the work I may well have done on UK soil, although I did a fair bit of travelling around so it's difficult to say exactly how much.

Coming to try to describe all this on my self-assessment (which was a total pain to register online for, and so I ended up with less time to fill it out than I’d hoped) turns out to be tricky. The company abroad has no PAYE tax reference, and no guidance is provided on what exchange rate to apply to Euros/Pounds -- all mandatory sections of the SA102 with little scope to flesh out. Based on some quick calcs with salarycalculator, there may be some difference in what I’ve paid taxwise abroad vs what I’d pay in the UK.

So I rang HMRC up to try and hack it out. The guy said it sounded like it wasn’t necessary/appropriate to put all this into a self-assessment form, but that I would need to speak to a technical adviser to be 100% sure, and said it would be impossible to speak to one before the 31.1.10 deadline.

Anyone any ideas, or been in a similar boat?

This may help you.

TRG3

Comment

Working...
    X