• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taxation Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxation Rates

Hello,
    Can someone please tell me exactely how much in dividends I can take out per financial year until I hit the higher tax bracket?
    I have heard I can take out £27k per year in dividends and after that am subject to 25% on any dividends after that.
    This is of course in addition to a minimal directors salary and expenses claimed.

Thanks.

HMCR has this information...

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/index.htm

Comment

Thanks for that but it doesnt tell me the tax payable on dividends

Comment

Dividends

£32400 is the limit of the basic rate band for 2005/06

£4895 is the personal allowance for 2005/06

Assuming your salary is £4895 then this uses up the personal allowance

You can then pay £29160 dividends before paying any higher-rate tax

The tax sums work out as follows:

Dividends - cash in hand - £29160
        Add:Tax Credit - £3240
        Taxable Income - £32400
        Tax Rate is 10% - £3240
        Which is covered by the tax credit

If dividends were say £36000 cash in hand then the sums would be as follows:

Dividends - cash in hand - £36000
        Add:Tax Credit - £4000
        Taxable Income - £40000
        In higher rate tax bracket - £7600 (£40000 - £32400)
        In basic rate tax bracket - £32400
        Tax Rate is 10% on dividends in basic rate tax bracket - £3240
        Tax Rate is 32.5% on dividends in higher rate tax bracket - £2470
        Total Tax - £5710
        Less: Tax Credit - £4000
        Tax Payable - £1710
        or 25% of cash in hand dividend that strays into higher rate tax bracket

Comment

Originally posted by bruceg13
          Thanks for that but it doesnt tell me the tax payable on dividends
          Obviously an accountant is your best bet here.

But in brief - and to the best of my knowledge (I use an accountant to do my own)

The UK income tax threshold for 40% income tax is set at X.

Your salary is taxed first, at 0%, 10% and 22% up to 40%.

Once you have paid your salary if you have not yet earned X, you can take dividends to the value of (X-salary) and because of the tax credit on dividends you will owe no further income tax.

Any dividend income that takes your combined income over the 40% threshold will be taxed at the full dividend tax rate of 32.5% although with the tax crdedit this is actually 22.5%.

Bear in mind the following 3 things

1) You have to have first paid corporation tax on profits before you can declare dividends (or made allowances for this charge) this is 19%.

2) You can only declare dividends out of profit, if you are making a loss or the dividend would make you incur a real loss then you can't pay it

3) The 40% tax limit applies to all income streams i.e. salary, dividends, rental income, interest earned, other jobs.

AGAIN - Talk to an accountant

Comment

Thanks to Bradley and Bored Senseless - just what I was looking for.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X