• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Belgium - A Short Guide to Tax and Social Security

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wogewwabbit View Post
    Hi,

First of all, Happy New Year to everyone on here!

I have to ask the same question again, as it is still valid: does any of you know an English speaking accountant in Belgium?
    I wonder if the lack of response is telling ?

Comment

Originally posted by wogewwabbit View Post
      I have to ask the same question again, as it is still valid: does any of you know an English speaking accountant in Belgium?
      Just about every professional person in Belgium will speak very good English. You need to look up "accountant" + "town" in "site:be" on google and you will find some accountants local you you in Belgium. Then just phone one.

Hth,

Boo

Comment

Can the Belgian Tax authorities go after foreign bank accounts?

Hello, and thanks for this great discussion and all of your help! I have a question please. If I worked as an individual contractor in Brussels and gave them a foreign account to deposit my 2009 tax return and then moved back to the UK or France at the end of 2010. Will the Belgian tax authorities come after me for my 2010 taxes due, when I'm in another country? Can they freeze a foreign account?

Thanks a lot for any info that you have.

Comment

no

Originally posted by guitarmusic4u2 View Post
          Hello, and thanks for this great discussion and all of your help! I have a question please. If I worked as an individual contractor in Brussels and gave them a foreign account to deposit my 2009 tax return and then moved back to the UK or France at the end of 2010. Will the Belgian tax authorities come after me for my 2010 taxes due, when I'm in another country? Can they freeze a foreign account?

Thanks a lot for any info that you have.
          NO, you are just a small fish.
          But if you want to be sure, open a new account, get the amount, close the account.

Comment

thanks

That was really nice of you to answer me. I am a small fish, but they are the powerful force. I'm not going to worry though. cheers!

Comment

183 day rule

Can anyone tell me if I were to work in Belgium under the 183 day rule and with an A1 cert. I presume I would have to pay UK tax? But if so what tax free expenses am I legally allowed per day. Any help would be appreciated
              Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Jojo65 View Post
                Can anyone tell me if I were to work in Belgium under the 183 day rule and with an A1 cert. I presume I would have to pay UK tax? But if so what tax free expenses am I legally allowed per day. Any help would be appreciated
                Thank you
                I'm not sure what you mean by an A1 cert ? The scale rates that HMRC accept are published on their site here, there are seperate rates for Brussels vs the rest of Belgium.

Hth,

Boo

Comment

Newbie with possible first time contract in BE

Hi All

I may have the possibility of my first contract and in Belgium, will hear by the end of the week (3 months+). I have read this thread and must admit it is making me a tad nervous. If I am right in my assumption the best way to this and avoid the prospect of becoming a resident is to stay under the 183 day rule, set a limited company up in my wife’s name and include myself as an employee and draw a small salary. Live in a B&B or sublet, I plan to work Monday to Thursday and travel back home most weekends. I have a mortgage here and two kids, so my economic interests will definitely be based in the UK.

Am I right in this assumption ? any advice would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by jsnetman View Post
                    Hi All

I may have the possibility of my first contract and in Belgium, will hear by the end of the week (3 months+). I have read this thread and must admit it is making me a tad nervous. If I am right in my assumption the best way to this and avoid the prospect of becoming a resident is to stay under the 183 day rule, set a limited company up in my wife’s name and include myself as an employee and draw a small salary. Live in a B&B or sublet, I plan to work Monday to Thursday and travel back home most weekends. I have a mortgage here and two kids, so my economic interests will definitely be based in the UK.

Am I right in this assumption ? any advice would be appreciated.
                    Yes, but you can be a/the director of the Ltd Co. without it being an issue, it doesn't have to be in your wife's name.

Boo

Comment

1 year contract in belgium

hi, my hubby was offered a job in brussels for a year for 390 eur initially then when he turned it down, he was offered with 500 eur, in a bank/financial company (this is his first time to do contracting and be on financial sector) i wonder if its worth it?

with him having the year's contract, he'll be considered as tax resident? the agent said he only needs to pay 30%, is that true? he has set up a limited company, and plan to get an accountant in belgium, is that correct? or he needs to get a separate UK accountant?

please help.

Comment

Working...
                      X