• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Belgium - A Short Guide to Tax and Social Security

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Indeed, they mentioned their Lux scheme on the phone, but only when I prompted them, before that they were talking about straight accountancy. They seemed professional, not pushy and it's a big bonus that they have English people as my FR and NL are rubbish...

I'm too new here to PM you, but I'd be very interested if you have any accountant recommendations.
    Ask the Admin to allow PMs and they will turn it on for you.

You can be comfortable with Classic, just go in with your eyes open. The accountant they will refer you to is one I would also suggest, so feel confident to use him.

I am not an expert, just someone who has experienced things first hand. If you need expert advice then seek out a qualified expert. My opinions are just that, my opinions. I could be wrong, and laws change, so trust nothing I say

Comment

I've no idea how to contact admin, but I guess you guys are reading this for approval, so please, please, pretty please can I have PM enabled?

<admin note>Done</admin note>

<Lycanthrope note>Thank you</Lycanthrope note>
      Last edited by Lycanthrope; 11 March 2010, 20:02.

Comment

Hi,

great thread.

It looks like I am going to register as an independent, working for NATO.

How do I go about this? I already live in belgium and I am a resident.

Comment

I've been recommended a accountancy firm: Moore Stephens Wood Appleton

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthrope View Post
            I've been recommended a accountancy firm: Moore Stephens Wood Appleton
            I know nothing about them, but they are an established firm so you should be fine. Just get a clear view of costs and timing up front. I'd be interested to have your experiences and impressions posted here as you progress with them.

Success in your new venture
            I am not an expert, just someone who has experienced things first hand. If you need expert advice then seek out a qualified expert. My opinions are just that, my opinions. I could be wrong, and laws change, so trust nothing I say

Comment

Originally posted by vaevictus View Post
              Hi,

great thread.

It looks like I am going to register as an independent, working for NATO.

How do I go about this? I already live in belgium and I am a resident.
              Hmmm... New poster, just registered, profile hidden... Troll?

In the event you are not said beasty read on...

See an accountant. He will do all the registrations for tax, VAT, SS, family allowance and other benefits.

Read this thread again in slowly, it will answer many of your questions. Take careful notice of the pitfalls of being Independent

The questions this thread doesn’t answer, are the ones you should ask a professional!

Remember, I do not offer professional advice, I offer a starting point to guide you on the path to working in Belgium. If you choose to take this path, you should always talk to a professional.

Comment

Great Post ! Some clarity required

Hello Nordic,
                Thanks a lot for your informative post. I need your assistance.

My case is as follows.
                1) I am currently an resident Indian national employed for by a telecom company in India.
                2) In an attempt to start off on my own I approached couple of companies. I received a favorable response from a company in Belgium. We at present are in discussion of the contract.
                3) I have to consult on product development and marketing. I will be working on site in Belgium every alternate month. During the month that I am in India will also help them penetrate the Indian market
                4) My family will be based in Delhi and may visit during vacations.
                5) I propose to setup a limited company and my company will send me to Belgium .
                6) There is a Double Taxation Avoidance Treaty and Social Security Agreement between India and Belgium. The Social Security Agreement states that if I pay Social Security in India. I need not do the same in Belgium. This is for a period of 5 Years.

My querys are as follows
                1) What visa do I need for Belgium? From my readings I think that I need a Professional card. Is this correct or the fact that I would be in Belgium only for a month at a time make things easier?
                2) What would be the impact of the Double Taxation Avoidance Treaty and Social Security Agreement?
                3) Any specific suggestions or Instructions?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Jacob

Comment

Originally posted by objacob View Post

My querys are as follows
                  1) What visa do I need for Belgium? From my readings I think that I need a Professional card. Is this correct or the fact that I would be in Belgium only for a month at a time make things easier?
                  2) What would be the impact of the Double Taxation Avoidance Treaty and Social Security Agreement?
                  3) Any specific suggestions or Instructions?
                  This is a UK based site so the vast majority of the posters on this site are UK, EU or EEA citizens so don't need a visa to work in Belgium.

If you use google you can find specific Belgium information from other non-EEA expats in English on other forums informing you of what visas you need to work in Belgium.

In addition you can google to see if the Belgium tax office has a Double Taxation agreement with India. And you can ask specific questions on those forums about it.

While Nordic posts lots of information he is not paid to do this.

Like many new posters you have made the mistake of not searching for information yourself before posting more specific questions.
                  Please read and watch the brief guide to CUK netiquette: http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...e-newbies.html
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hello SueEllen,
                    Thanks for your response. Please do not assume that I did not do things that you suggested (google).
                    Just because the "vast majority" do not need a visa does not mean that the no one would have an idea. As a matter of fact there was an American poster who was discussing his issue somewhere at the start of this thread.

I will leave it to wisdom of Nordic and others who may like to respond with some useful info / suggestion.

I have asked the questions in preparation for my meeting with a Lawyer and Accountant.

Regards,

Jacob

Comment

SueEllen has given you some good advice and made some pertinent comments. Please keep it civil. Also bear in mind that this is UK site and therefore UK culture and mores dominate.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X