• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming Back Rent Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    THEIR, there has a completely different meaning...

It's completely legal and proper when it's the truth, if you lie and gain a tax benefit that you're not entitled to then that's Tax Evasion and a criminal offence.
    Quite simple really, people who value their freedom and don't want a criminal record wouldn't lie.
    The point I make is this is impossible to prove otherwise

I mean Jacqui Smith was doing something similar to this.

Why cant your main home be at a friends in Sotland??

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post

It's quite possible to prove where your main home is, there are a few obvious pointers.

Where most of your stuff is.
      Where most of your post is addressed.
      Where you're registered to vote.
      Where your driving licence is registered to.
      Where HMRC have as as the place to send forms.
      Where you pay most bills.

Ignore the rubbish about politicians they're "different" i.e. they get to use rules that would see us in jail.

Comment

It matters not where you live, but where you are based as your regular place of employment. So unless you relocate your company to Scotland, then it's a moot point.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I claim 5K for second home lodging plus all the expenses of travelling by car up and down the motorway
          If HMRC ever got suspicious, it wouldn't be hard for them to find pretty good evidence you're lying.

You'd presumably be claiming a huge amount like 50,000 miles in your car each year. I imagine the MOT certificates would not back that up.

Would you also be able to produce any household bills with your name on from the Scotland address?

Would your bank statements (eg ATM withdrawal points/debit card spending) suggest that you actually lived in Scotland?

Comment

Just to say, to operate the 'rent a room scheme' you do have to register it with HMRC.

Comment

Working...
            X