• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lunch Breaks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is more me that is worried about doing the full 40 hours so that I get paid the maximum!
    Are you getting paid daily or hourly?

At the end of the day what are they really going to do? Sack you for an arguable hour a week? no way that will happen. The very worst is the permies will just label you a money grabbing work to rule contractor doing the bare minimum and getting big money for it. Lets be honest, I did 10 hour a day at one gig and still got that from some people so nuts to them. You are never gonna get away from that one.

It may affect your chances of an extension of course. If your paid hourly why not offer to lose and hour or so instead of expecting to be paid the max for doing the absolute minimum (and less) for a chance of further work?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

20 minutes after 6 hours is the norm.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ff/DG_10029451

Of course you are hardly likely to take your co to an ET if they don't provide it...

Comment

Do an hour or two per week working from home to make up any shortfall.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

My last client had a policy of all contractors taking an hour for lunch, because otherwise the permies might get the idea they were entitled to work lunch and go home early too.

Usually when I hear anything like that my approach is to just ignore it and adopt the "I assume it didn't apply to me" defence if ever asked (which you never will be), but on this occasion I decided to play nice as I needed the gig and didn't want to give them any excuses.

But that's the only time I've ever had any comment about hours. As always, if they're happy with your work, and you're around when you need to be for meetings or whatever, nobody is going to care about this sort of thing. It only comes into play if they're looking for excuses to get rid of you.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I tried not taking a lunch but current client didn't like it and refused to sign timeshet unless I put in 30 min break (even if I hadn't taken it) for health & safety.

though I'm sure its got nothing to do with health & safety - but hey ho.

So now I DO take a 30 minute break.

Comment

Some clients insist you take a break because they see you as 'their' employee albeit temporary.

some clients dont mind if you work all day without a break.

Just depends but if the client insists, you have to fall in line.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
              X