• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Return for end of Nov!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Surely most contractors should be on the flat rate VAT?
    Only if they have few if any expenses.

If you're working away from home and living in B&B its worthwhile not being on the FRS.

Besides, you can reclaim the VAT element on any fuel you purchase even if claiming mileage.

And please, dont anyone say you cant because you can.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      Surely most contractors should be on the flat rate VAT?
      It depends on the input VAT.

The flat rate for contractors works if expenditure is low, but as soon as there is significant expenditure, on fuel and hotels for example, then it is usually better to be off the FRS.

EDIT - I see that Bolshie has already answered. Basically WHS.
      Last edited by Gonzo; 17 November 2009, 22:59. Reason: Someone had already posted the same answer. Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Besides, you can reclaim the VAT element on any fuel you purchase even if claiming mileage.

And please, dont anyone say you cant because you can.
        Doesn't the old Scale Rate charge still apply if you reclaim the VAT on fuel or has that rule gone?
        The charge used to pretty much knobble the benefit unless you used a lot of fuel.

I agree if you have a fair bit of VATable expense the FRS isn't worth it, it's one of the judgement calls any business should make. I tend to rent rather than stay in VAT registered hotels when I'm away so FRS works for me reasonably well.

Comment

Many contractors do benefit from the FRS VAT Scheme.

HMRC have a calculator tool that will indicate if you will benefit.

It only takes a phone call to your VAT office to change over.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            Doesn't the old Scale Rate charge still apply if you reclaim the VAT on fuel or has that rule gone?
            The charge used to pretty much knobble the benefit unless you used a lot of fuel.
            Fuel scale charge (FSC) does still exist, but only if you reclaim VAT in respect of private fuel.

So if you use 40p/mile route for business miles, you can reclaim VAT on part of that cost (2p/mile and you won't be too far out) without worrying about FSC.

If on the other hand you have a company car, putting all motor costs through the business & reclaiming all the VAT on fuel, then you should then pay the FSC.

Comment

Working...
            X