• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Arrested for drugs possession but not charged yet - do I disclose?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might be worth getting advice from a lawyer rather than opinions here.

I got done for "evading" a fare once on a train. In fact, all I had done was sit in first class with my standard ticket because it was late at night and there were yobs in the standard compartment.

In the end to keep my record squeaky clean (as I worked for banks), I got a lawyer to negotiate a large payment to the corrupt train company so they wouldnt prosecute.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by mirageman View Post
      Could you expand on this? If I haven't been charged yet then I won't have a criminal record, so surely a check wouldn't flag this.
      Your arrest will result in an entry going onto the Police National Computer but the organisations that can access this information directly is limited so you might get away with it.

Comment

Hi,

I'm a ageing raver
        Just another deluded junkie

Comment

Well it was a deserted suburban street at about 4am...
          Btw, here's a link to an interesting article called LSD: The Geek's Wonder Drug

http://www.miqel.com/entheogens/psyc...d_revival.html

Really? I would point to the evidence that suggests otherwise.

We all make mistakes, and perhaps learn and grow from them, or refuse their existence.

I thought maybe you could go either way, but after reading your second post I realise you haven't arrived in this situation humbled and ashamed; instead your arrogant, combative and unremorseful.

But worst of all, you are stupid. In so many ways you, and your attitude, is what is wrong with today's society.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            Rubbish! He's ****ed! Stuff such as this is kept off PNC and is referred to as 'Police information' records.

And if he's fined, he will have a record albeit not a criminal record.
            Wrong.

Drugs are flagged in your criminal record as a serious crime even if you are caught smoking a fly wee joint. I had a hand in writing the system. Drugs go straight to the PNC as well as being stored on the local police system.

Comment

Originally posted by RedTag View Post
              But worst of all, you are stupid. In so many ways you, and your attitude, is what is wrong with today's society.
              The right to take drugs is wrong and somehow a reflection on today's society?

I see nothing wrong with a good blow out with the illegals, much better than 15 pints of stella and starting a fight down the high street which is what seems to happen all too much these days.

Comment

Firstly, thanks for all your replies. Alas this is no wind up...

Just to clarify things, I have no previous convictions, but a previous caution from about 7 years ago.

Could you expand on this? If I haven't been charged yet then I won't have a criminal record, so surely a check wouldn't flag this.

Can anyone confirm the veracity of this?

Btw, here's a link to an interesting article called LSD: The Geek's Wonder Drug

http://www.miqel.com/entheogens/psyc...d_revival.html

Furthermore, apparently Francis Crick admitted before his death that he took LSD whilst doing his pioneering research on the structure of DNA... I've certainly found it's helped my problem solving abilities in the past.

The law is an arse with respect to psychedelic drugs, imho.
                You've been stopped and searched by plod in relation to a drug offence. There will be a record kept by Police as local information if you are let off with a warning. It will be on PNC if you are charged.

Look at it this way, you've been stopped on a drugs offence and let off with a warning. How do you (or anyone else for that matter) think plod would know its the second time you've been stopped for a drugs offence and it isnt the first time?

Do you think the copper has a good memory or he's told his mates back at the station! Course there's a record!
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I'm worried that a criminal record check will flag me up and the job offer will be withdrawn.
                  Can a bank do a criminal record check ? Even if they could, I'm sure it would only show up unspent convictions as per a CRB check.

However, what they could also do - is ask you to provide evidence of your legal status - as many foreign embassies do when applying for a visa.

If you go to the police, they will provide you a statement of everything on the PNC - this will include old convictions, cautions and probably ongoing investigations. If you have nothing at all, the statement will reflect this.

If IB request that you provide this (and this is dependent on your contract), you're fooked.

But knowing that your career is pretty much dependent on a clean record - and you still flout the law - sorry, but that's reckless. Choose what's more important to you... the drugs or your career... you can't expect to have both.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    The right to take drugs is wrong and somehow a reflection on today's society?
                    No, getting caught doing something that you know is illegal and then winging about it like a little girl is a reflection on todays society.
                    Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                      No, getting caught doing something that you know is illegal and then winging about it like a little girl is a reflection on todays society.
                      Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                      X