• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problems with contracting over 12 months?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask the client Co's HR department if they have cleared their stance with their legal department.

Better still, contact client Co's legal department yourself and save the poor little dears the effort of sending off an email themselves.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
      You pay your agent? I was an IT contractor for 21 years (until may this year) and in all that time the agent always paid me via my company, I never paid the agent.

I was at one client for over 6 years and was investigated for IR35 and found to be outside.
      Well I don't contract direct to the clientco, so agent is getting a portion of money that could be coming to me taken from my daily rate for thier services. Several renewals means thier finding fee is long since covered, so I expect a bit of value add here. They've agreed to speak to clientco HR for me to try and sort this out.

A lot of people here do contract direct to clientco here with no agency, this may be where the problem lies. Even then they're still employed by thier own Ltd co, so my thinking is as it's a B2B relationship they're never direct employees oif clientco under any circumstances. They're called Associates rather than contractors, not sure why.

Comment

I agree with opinion that it is nothing to do with IR35. I have experience of HR departments not really understanding how trading through Limited Co changes the playing field so you need to educate them.

My understanding on 24 month rule is that you can't claim travel expenses from the point where you know you are going to be there beyond 24 months. It is a subtle but costly distinction from believing you have to stop claiming expenses once you get to 24 months. eg. if you have been there for 18 months and then renew for 6 months and day, you can't claim expenses from the date you renew. NB I haven't been in this situ for a couple of years so there is a chance things may have changed - best check with your accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by spig View Post
          Well I don't contract direct to the clientco, so agent is getting a portion of money that could be coming to me taken from my daily rate for thier services. Several renewals means thier finding fee is long since covered, so I expect a bit of value add here. They've agreed to speak to clientco HR for me to try and sort this out.

A lot of people here do contract direct to clientco here with no agency, this may be where the problem lies. Even then they're still employed by thier own Ltd co, so my thinking is as it's a B2B relationship they're never direct employees oif clientco under any circumstances. They're called Associates rather than contractors, not sure why.
          Or to look at it another way, the agent won the business and pay you a substantial portion of their daily rate to you.

Comment

Nobody knows what the fk they're doing.

HTH

Comment

Working...
            X