• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Building a home office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a home office

Hi

Before I begin, I think I know the answer but just want other valuable input from you lot.

I would ask the question of my accountant, but she has decided to take a 4 week break to the sun ( so I am now convinced she is charging too much - but that is a different story)..

I am looking to build a 'home office' shed type thing in the back garden.

This would be used for business purposes (honest) as I work from home a fair bit when not at a client site.

Now, what is the chance that I can buy this and capitalise it? It is about £4k for the basic plus install and fittings (so about £6k all in).

Cheers in advance
    Jon
    Twitter: jonsmile

As far as I know you can't put something like this through the company accounts.
    The office will be part of the residential property and so the capital to build it must be provided by you personally (i.e. post tax) not from the company.

You'd need to build it yourself and then the company can "rent" the space back from you or at least you can offset the office against tax much like you would as if the office was a spare bedroom you had converted.

Alternatively, you could hire a mobile office which could go through the companies books. But unless you can get a truck into the back garden to drop it off it's not very practicle.
    And it would probably cost more.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Search the forums the answer and a link to some useful info was provided by Phil at BCFA or whatever his accountancy co is called.

I wish I had asked 12 months ago - that knowledge then would have got me off my backside and set up a ltd co and saved me a packet.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

yeah right I could also put the kitchen extension and loft conversion
        in as well

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
          yeah right I could also put the kitchen extension and loft conversion
          in as well
          You wouldn't expect customers visiting your premises to go thirsty or hungry would you?

No, so that's the kitchen justified.

Your business needs some additional storage space?

Yes, so that's the loft justified.

Comment

Found it....

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...highlight=BFCA

Comment

cheers for the replies and link - not sure how I did not find it (expect it was because it has taken me a week to post the question after serching)

Option 5 on the link sounds good, but will have to ban the wife and her sewing machine from the office (unless I can convince everyone that sewing is something we offer as well as IT skills!)

Comment

Originally posted by JonSmile View Post
                cheers for the replies and link - not sure how I did not find it (expect it was because it has taken me a week to post the question after serching)

Option 5 on the link sounds good, but will have to ban the wife and her sewing machine from the office (unless I can convince everyone that sewing is something we offer as well as IT skills!)
                I don't find the search particularly good on this site, can't even find the help for it anywhere.

Anyway, Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                  I don't find the search particularly good on this site
                  So use Google to search the site instead!

FFS.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

what - like this?

Comment

Working...
                    X