• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd company - what happens if i die?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ltd company - what happens if i die?

Completly ligitimate question.

If the company has £100k in the bank account because of funds held back and the sole director dies, what happens to the money?

I assume it just get wound up in his estate with all his other assets and then IHT is charged on everything?

Originally posted by chrisl View Post

If the company has £100k in the bank account because of funds held back and the sole director dies, what happens to the money?

I assume it just get wound up in his estate with all his other assets and then IHT is charged on everything?
    Do you have a will?
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Surely the money is owned by the person who owns the shares : which then passes to the estate.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Surely the money is owned by the person who owns the shares : which then passes to the estate.
        That's what I would think too.

Not sure who would organise the winding up of the companies though. I guess you could nominate somebody in your personal will.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by chrisl View Post

Basically yes, the shareholding in the company will form part of the estate and passed on depending on the will etc. Assuming the shares were held 100% by the deceased, the new owner would probably wind the company up.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Not directly - the money belongs to the company - it is for the directors and shareholders to decide what happens.

If the soel director/shareholder dies, then their legal representatives would be obliged to appoint a new director to adminster the company and presumably wind it up.

Alan

Comment

Working...
            X