• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Surchage Liability Notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surchage Liability Notice

Hi

I recieved one of these..

I am in default for 1 March 09 - 31st May 09

for the first 2quarters of this year I have not invoiced anyone since i was unemployed. However i did not submit my last quarter before the due date even though it was all nil since I have not done any business this year.
    Don't know why i had to do it online as my accountants normally hand it in.
    Now that i submitted it around 25days late is there anyway to get out of paying this?

trsisko

Slightly difficult without reading the doc, but if its your first one you may find that you only have to pay if you are in default again. I think it says that on the first default notice in an annual period.

I hope that helps.

Phil

Comment

thanks Phil that sounds promising I have emailed my accountants anyway I hope they can give me a positive answer as £1000+ is a sickly sum to pay when I earned zero during this period

Comment

Is it safe to assume that this is a late VAT return?

If so they typically send out an estimate based on past returns or a damp finger in the air punitive method.
        The critical thing to do is get the return in ASAP, sometimes if they're in the right mood they will just adjust the estimate and maybe send you a snotogram.

I've been VAT registered for the better part of two decades so I've missed a few deadlines over the years for various reasons.

Comment

I've also missed a couple of deadlines (albeit by no more than a week).

I tend to backdate the cheque and throw it in the post. Cheque is cashed and no more said about it
          Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
          I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Working...
          X