• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Student Loans And Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Loans And Contracting

Does anyone know how this works?

Given that student loans are deducted from your salary only if you earn more then 15K, can you delay paying them if you pay yourself a salary of 6K and the rest in dividends?

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
    Does anyone know how this works?

Given that student loans are deducted from your salary only if you earn more then 15K, can you delay paying them if you pay yourself a salary of 6K and the rest in dividends?
    No. You have to declare any other income if you want to defer them. This includes dividends.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

student loan repayments and dividends

I am a health worker and the inland revenue deduced student loan repayments immediately after I qualified in 2001. I then began working as a contractor and was paid a basic salary, plus dividends, via an umbrella company and had no repayments deducted from my salary. Not sure why, but this continued until 2 years ago when I set up a limited company and my accountant completed a self-assesment on my behalf. I have been earning below £26,000 so maybe payments were automatically deferred for the 5 years. It's a minefield out there!

Comment

I know this one because I queried it with my accountant.

The loan is repaid at 9% of all income above £15,000 - and this includes dividends
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
        X