• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - the road to Judicial Review

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Alan Simpson seems to be kicking off too.

I've got a list of virtually all 650 MPs email addresses, so I might just send them a mailshot.
    The way things are going that might be the best way. Two more

Douglas Hogg MP
    and, amazingly, Harriet too...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8308825.stm

Comment

More From HMRC

Hi All

Just recieved a nasty brown envelope from HMRC.

It the We are going to inquire into your 2007-2008 tax return, they seem to have go this out early this time.

It reminds me that section 58 is now law and that I should consider paying up !

It also asks for some detail and give basically a month to reply.

This is interesting as this is the first T.R that has income under the new M.P scheme involved, as its a small amount I guess they have no way of spotting that.

Sent it off to M.P see what happens

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
        This is interesting as this is the first T.R that has income under the new M.P scheme involved, as its a small amount I guess they have no way of spotting that.
        I'm sure the chumps from Salford will be sniffing around soon enough.

Comment

Well Said Douglas...

Hello,

On the BBC website here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8308825.stm is the following comment from Conservative MP Douglas Hogg who:

...asked Ms Harman for a debate to restate the principle that people are "entitled to regulate their affairs according to the law, practices and rules" that exist at any particular time and that any departure from that would be a "departure from justice".

Does that sound familiar to anyone???

DR, do you think that a central list should be compiled of all of these MP's that are now raising issues about retrospective legislation. I have been off air recently and looking through some of the recent listings it seems that this is a bit hit and miss. Surely as what is happening to the MP's is so similar to what they have inflicted on us, then as many of us as possible should email all the MP's that raise issues.

Thoughts on this??

MajorGowen...

Comment

We have been given such a beautifully timed nugget of gold with this MP Expenses thing. I actually cant believe the timing is so so perfect!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MajorGowen View Post
              DR, do you think that a central list should be compiled of all of these MP's that are now raising issues about retrospective legislation. I have been off air recently and looking through some of the recent listings it seems that this is a bit hit and miss. Surely as what is happening to the MP's is so similar to what they have inflicted on us, then as many of us as possible should email all the MP's that raise issues.
              Here are the challenges.

1) MPs receive a huge volume of emails every day. Those that have voiced their objections to the retrospective rules will probably be getting swamped with abuse from constituents and the public at large.

2) MPs only have to respond to constituents. They can bin anything else.

3) The MPs are only interested because it affects them. They weren't that bothered when this was brought to their attention 6 months ago, and I don't expect many will suddenly come over all altruistic now.

It might be better to wait a few days to see how this pans out.

Comment

Good question

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyan...rospective-tax

Comment

Interesting to read public-school-educated Harriet Harperson (who wants comprehensive education for everyone but her and her kids) state that "expenses must be based on the 'rules and standards that obtained at the time'". Lest we forget, the "rules and standards" were written as laxly as possible by, you guessed it, MPs, and maintained by an office under severe negative influence and pressure from, you guessed it, MPs.

What are they whinging about? These weren't laws, these were "rules and standards". It's evident the standards were made deliberately weak as to be next to useless, and so thoroughly deserve to be interpreted in a manner similar to other expenses legislation pertaining at the time and indeed now, the most obvious rule being that an expense claim must be wholly, exclusively and necessarily for the purposes of your employment.

I thought the expenses fiasco was dead. All I can say is long may it continue. It's easy to forget how these so-called public servants have been screwing us for decades with second home flipping, and nonsense claims for gardening or having their arse wiped by a paid nanny. I for one need constant reminding what a bunch of ****s so many MPs are.

Comment

RSS feed

Is there one for this forum?
                    When is comes to the HMRC and Gordy. Im a fighter not a lover

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

It might be better to wait a few days to see how this pans out.
                      I agree. These things are very much flavour of the moment and pretty soon there will be edicts from their leaders taking the spade off these MP's. Their whinging is feeding the press and public opinion.

Let the dust settle and then see where we stand. The focus on the injustice of retrospection is a good thing and will remain after the furore dies down.

Comment

Working...
                      X