• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax office says 'phone back in 2 weeks'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax office says 'phone back in 2 weeks'

I just phoned my tax office because my tax code is wrong - they are collecting excess of higher-rate tax via my tax code for dividends I received in prior years.

But since I am no longer a higher-rate tax payer - year 08-09 - I wanted this removed.

Their response was that they're having their systems upgraded and could I phone back in 2 weeks because they wont be able to amend anything until then
    "take me to your leader"

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
    I just phoned my tax office because my tax code is wrong - they are collecting excess of higher-rate tax via my tax code for dividends I received in prior years.

But since I am no longer a higher-rate tax payer - year 08-09 - I wanted this removed.

Their response was that they're having their systems upgraded and could I phone back in 2 weeks because they wont be able to amend anything until then
    When was the last time you got to bring the systems down for 2 weeks for an upgrade in your field?

And no backup plan for the simplest thing? Couldn't they just tell you to use a new code, and note it for later. As my OH says: "Forget computer that says no, take pen in hand, approach piece of paper...".

Comment

HMRC are bastards!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post

Ask for a copy of that advice in writing. Pure confirmation that dealings with HMRC are a one-way street. One day late on a return and its a penalty but they couldn't give a toss about the taxpayer when it involves them doing something.
        Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Working...
        X