• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

paye & freelancing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paye & freelancing

hello,
    not sure if my situation is common enough of not, however i am currently paying taxes via PAYE but i am also doing some freelancing. I am assuming I would need to pay taxes towards freelance work. can someone please suggest:
    * what is the threshhold after which i am taxed on the freelance income
    * or will i be taxed at 40% on whatever i make as a freelancer.
    * do i need to worry about the tax part if its nominal (as i have just started and dont know what i would make by the end of the financial year).

thanks for your ideas, links to the HMRC website would also be useful, i am searching around it as well at the moment.

Assuming you are for real.... which I am not certain

Threshold for tax is £.01 income - you have used your tax allowance on your permie job.
    Expenses, NI etc all depend on your freelancer status, self employed, ltd co etc. You get an NI allowance per job, so if low levels of income you are exempt from that. However, if self employed you NEED to register with the NI people and HMRC within either 3 or 6 months - cannot remember which.

You will only be taxed at 40% if you are already on the 40% threshold, and operating paye / self employed for additional income.

TBH - talk to an accountant. You are going to have to fill in self assessment now - your affairs have just hit the complicated level. You haven't got the knowledge yourself - so you are going to need to find someone who can give you some advice.

Comment

[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by ukblokester View Post
      hello,
      Oh, it's you again! Hello!

not sure if my situation is common enough of not, however i am currently paying taxes via PAYE but i am also doing some freelancing.
      Aha! So you got the contract gig. Well done.

I am assuming I would need to pay taxes towards freelance work. can someone please suggest:
      Get an accountant. Your situation is not straightforward since you are PAYEing and contracting.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
      X