• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving Lessons as a expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving Lessons as a expense

Hi,

I'm a contractor and learning to drive now. I currently work in London and live in Surrey. Is it possible for me put down driving lesson expenses and the driving test expenses on my company.

Please advise to the best .

Appreciated.

No.

It must be "wholly" incurred business expense. There is no way that you could claim this is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
      No.

It must be "wholly" incurred business expense. There is no way that you could claim this is the case.
      If he /she wanted to do their HGV class 1 training - that surely would be allowable
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        If he /she wanted to do their HGV class 1 training - that surely would be allowable
        Only if you get the training company to write the invoice out as "Health & Safety Awareness Training"

Comment

HGV lessons would be an allowable expense, if he was going to be a HGV Driver, nothing else.

The answer is No
          'elf and safety guru

Comment

It's worth a try... but no.

Comment

Thanks All

Comment

Originally posted by petu_13 View Post
                Hi,

I'm a contractor and learning to drive now. I currently work in London and live in Surrey. Is it possible for me put down driving lesson expenses and the driving test expenses on my company.

Please advise to the best .

Appreciated.

Driving lessons - no, no, no.

You can, however, claim for the moat to be cleaned.

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
                  HGV lessons would be an allowable expense, if he was going to be a HGV Driver, nothing else.
                  The proprietor of a business cannot claim back the expenses of any training that provides new skills.

This came up on the "Can I claim my MBA?" thread a few days back.
                  Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                    The proprietor of a business cannot claim back the expenses of any training that provides new skills.

This came up on the "Can I claim my MBA?" thread a few days back.
                    I thought the ruling was nobody can claim back the expenses of new skills. But the company can pay for new skills.

I.e. pay personally and claim back = benefit in kind, company pays up front = no benefit in kind.

This was from a thread a couple of months ago......
                    Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                    X