• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency messed up my contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency messed up my contract?

Hi, this is my first post and I'm really hoping someone can offer me some advice.

I'm a Ltd company contractor and took up a new contract a couple of months ago. The agency advised me this was a 5 month contract although the clients advised it was 5 weeks with possible extensions (due to the complexity of the various agencies/departments, the agent convinced me the clients I was speaking to had got it wrong.)

The agency has now admitted the length of my contract with them had a different duration to the one the client has with the agency. I understand this is illegal? Also the agent has given me notice (4 weeks), but the client will not be able to provide work for more than 2 weeks.

Am I entitled to be paid for the full 4 weeks?

highly doubtful, what does your contract say?

I imagine it will have a clause that says you are not entitled to be paid for time not worked.

ps. to whom does this sockpuppet belong?

Comment

Originally posted by Cakey_pig View Post

Am I entitled to be paid for the full 4 weeks?
      Yes I think you are entitled to be paid, otherwise the agent would not have given you 4 weeks notice.

The agent knows they have mucked up and are paying the price.

The client is the one you should believe with regards to contract duration, the agent is just the middle man.

My friend just spent 6 weeks at home because the agent and client mucked up, but they paid him...just had no work for him to do!

Comment

There's a reasonable argument that since you're contracted to the agency and not the client that they should pay up for the 4 weeks notice.
        It all depends on how the contract is worded and how prepared you are to play hardball with the Agency if the contract is weak enough.

Comment

If the contract is a typical one then you have a contract for services, and if your services are not required you will not be paid. The notice period is largely irrelevant, as if there is no work to do your services will not be required.

The contract will still be in force, but you will not be providing services.

Comment

Working...
          X