• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Closure - Accountant Cockup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Closure - Accountant Cockup

So....last June I forewarn my accountant (one of the big players, who I had used for the previous 6 years) that I want to wind up my company at the end of July.

Things get dragged out by them, but finally in November they get their act together and I return my final accounts along with everything else they have requested - 652a etc. Oh, and a cheque for £275.

Late November I am advised that accounts have been filed, all is sorted etc.

Roll on to yesterday, and I get a notice from Companies House to file accounts. Accountant response is "we never received the 652a and cheque for £10".

Nice of them to mention this before now.

Awaiting a response from them, but any suggestions on i) how to sort the closure and ii) seek retribution on the feckless idiots?

Originally posted by Crossroads View Post
    So....last June I forewarn my accountant (one of the big players, who I had used for the previous 6 years) that I want to wind up my company at the end of July.

Things get dragged out by them, but finally in November they get their act together and I return my final accounts along with everything else they have requested - 652a etc. Oh, and a cheque for £275.

Late November I am advised that accounts have been filed, all is sorted etc.

Roll on to yesterday, and I get a notice from Companies House to file accounts. Accountant response is "we never received the 652a and cheque for £10".

Nice of them to mention this before now.

Awaiting a response from them, but any suggestions on i) how to sort the closure and ii) seek retribution on the flipless idiots?

You did send the papers to your accountant by recorded delivery, didnt you? Or hand deliver yourself and obtain a receipt?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      You did send the papers to your accountant by recorded delivery, didnt you? Or hand deliver yourself and obtain a receipt?
      No, but this wouldn't help. They confirmed receipt and successfully filed signed accounts and various other details (that were in the same envelope).

However they claim the 652a was never received, and despite e-mails from myself advising it was included in the envelope (prior to them receiving) and a response from them advising that they have "everything they need" upon receipt, some 5 months later it is clear that a cock up has occurred!

Arse!

Comment

I always insist my clients issue the £10 cheque from the Company. As the company does not get struck off until 3 months later, I tell them as soon as the cheque clears make sure they empty the bank account and close it! Otherwise when the company is struck off the bank account is frozen.

My reason for insisting they supply the cheque for £10.00 is they then know when the paperwork has arrived and is being processed by Company house, and can work out when the Company will formally be struck off.

Comment

I suggest you get the form from Companies House and do it yourself.

Comment

Working...
          X