• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

car insurance - what employment status?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car insurance - what employment status?

ist that time of year for me....just curious what i should be telling insurance companies of my employment status? Usually i just stated employed professional....and state my discipline if they ask online.

But notice they have an option of "company director" obviously this bumps up the price too!

What shall i tell them?

(I am a 1 man LTD co paying myself directors fee and divis)

I put I am a director of a company, as I would hate the ins comp to wriggle out of paying

Comment

Yep
      Employment Status: Employed
      Job Title: Company Director

Otherwise you are lying on the application and they could refuse to pay out.
      Still Invoicing

Comment

really? I always tell them I'm employed as a computer programmer.

Comment

Car insurance companies are a little bit like HMRC, they will bend you over any opportunity they can.

If you have an accident and the insurance company get a sniff that you may have been econimical with the truth they will refuse to pay out and it will be down to you to prove them wrong....

Whilst you no doubt do program computers as part of your work, do you have an employment contract that says you are a programmer?

However a quick search of companies house will quickly prove you are a company director......

The gamble I suppose is that would the insurance company bother to check?
          Probably depends how much they stand to loose.....
          Still Invoicing

Comment

hmm... but i could sign an employment contract couldn't i?

Comment

You could, but then you would be subject to the national minimum wage and would still be a company director as well.......

As I said earlier, it depends on what the insurance company check in the event of an accident...

For me the difference between being a company director and a programmer (my last permie job) was only a couple of quid anyway...
              Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                If you have an accident and the insurance company get a sniff that you may have been econimical with the truth they will refuse to pay out and it will be down to you to prove them wrong....
                Even if that ommission has no bearing on the claim itself...

For instance, if someone in your house has a minor conviction for dropping litter (even a lodger), your house insurance is pretty much useless.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009...nance-criminal

However, insurers generally don't ask about convictions when you sign up or renew - only when you want to claim...
                Last edited by centurian; 25 April 2009, 19:54.

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                  Car insurance companies are a little bit like HMRC, they will bend you over any opportunity they can.

Whilst you no doubt do program computers as part of your work, do you have an employment contract that says you are a programmer?

However a quick search of companies house will quickly prove you are a company director......

The gamble I suppose is that would the insurance company bother to check?
                  Probably depends how much they stand to loose.....

Utter rubbish. I dont know many IT Contractors who have contracts of employment calling them directors. What's on the contract with the agent, IT Director or BA, Test Analyst, Programmer etc?

If in any doubt regarding car insurance, all you have to do is phone them and tell them.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    Utter rubbish. I dont know many IT Contractors who have contracts of employment calling them directors. What's on the contract with the agent, IT Director or BA, Test Analyst, Programmer etc?

If in any doubt regarding car insurance, all you have to do is phone them and tell them.
                    Where did I say an employment contract proves you are a company director?

If you read what I post, a search on companies house proves you are a company director.....

With regards to the bit in bold, is that not what I am reccomending anyway?

Get your head out of your arse. Do you really think the insurance co is going to look past your actual employment status if that gives them the amunition they require to not pay out?

Does your Ltd employ you as a programmer? No.
                    Are you a director of your Ltd Co? Yes.
                    Last edited by blacjac; 26 April 2009, 10:12.
                    Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                    X