• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accounting Software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accounting Software

I've been muddling along with Excel for some time now, kidding myself I'll have the time to add some calculations for VAT (I use the FRS) and how much myltdco can afford to pay shareholders in dividends. I never have so (being a cheapskate) when I saw Microsoft offering a free version of its accounts package, I downloaded it. Unofrtunately it doesn't support FRS and the workarounds are all pretty ugly so isn't any better than my Spreadsheets really.

What do other folks use? I'm happy(ish) to pay if there's a good solution around.

I use MYOB.

It has its own way of doing things but once you get used to it it works really well.

I've looked into the microsoft one but because of history with MYOB it didn't make as much sense to me.

For Payroll I use 12Pay - the basic version is free.

Comment

I use a very basic Excel spreadsheet (cashbook) in which i total up the value of invoices issued, deduct the amount of VAT payable (under the FRS), then deduct 25% for Corp Tax (better too much than not enough) and the rest i can distribute as Dividends.

The spreadsheet reconciles back to my bank account and i will hand all of this over to my accountant at my year end (end of April)

Comment

I use an Excel spreadsheet for day to day and a couple of extra ones for yearend calculations.

I do all my own books and no longer have an accountant.

I tried to use Sage once, but it is far too complicated for what I need, double entry bookkeeping and ledgers are a bit strong for a contractopr company with 12-13 credits and 48 debits a year!

Comment

I use Solar Accounts for invoicing and Purchase Orders etc and which i can recommend. There is a 60 free trial available from their website.

For Payroll etc i use 12Pay, again recommended. There are 2 versions - a free version and (surprise surprise) a non-free version

I have bought a licence which allows you to print all the reports it produces and payslips, the free version limits this to 6 prints only. Not sure about the free version, but the licenced version allows you to submit your P35/P14 over the internet as well.

Alan

Comment

Try Kashflow online accounting software.
            With online software you have the ability to access from anywhere without any need to install on your PC.
            Kashflow is simple and easy to use designed for non-accountants.
            You get 60 days free trial and if you sign up with Watermill Accounting Limited monthly subscription is only £9 per month excluding VAT( as against £15.99 plus VAT)

Comment

thanks to all for answers much appreciated.

Comment

just so you know one of the main reasons i ended up using MYOB was that the version of the msft product I was looking at had to post dividends as an expense! Divis are not an expense.

myob has complete double entry journal and divis can come out of your retained earnings / capital part of your accounts.

Comment

Is 12 pay winblows only?
                  I can only see referances to windblows in the FAQ's.

I guess what i am asking is does anyone with a Mac use it?
                  Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

Try Kashflow online accounting software.

you have benefit of accessing from anywhere. Without the need of installing on your PC.
                    Specially designed for Non Accountants

Price £9 per month if you sign up with us.

Comment

Working...
                    X