• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft Elearning couses and certification exam fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Elearning couses and certification exam fees

Limited company expenses:

Any idea if the payment made towards Microsoft Elearning training courses and Microsoft MCTS certification exam fees can be considered as business expenses? Of course this training is required for providing consultancy services to the clients and also for future business prospects. Should this be declared under P11..?
    Last edited by Ashwin2007; 19 April 2009, 13:51.

I've just taken a Windows 2008 course and taken the associated MCTS exam and will be charging both to my company. I'm an IT Project Manager and this is investment in upgrading my existing technical skill set.

I think if you are trying to claim an exam or any training which is not part of the regular services your company provides you cant claim the expense back.

Comment

I've claimed for MCTS before and for lots of books related to my work as and when needed.

I've been doing a computer science MSc which I haven't made any claims for after reading some comments on here and the HMRC website, it's a shame really because I view it as 100% related to my company (although not to any specific contract) and it costs a packet.

Comment

It's a matter of opinion and point of argument with HMRC, but professional training and exam costs should be considered as reasonable company expenses.

Comment

When I worked as a permie in the past, and if they have had the budget, books, cert exams and training courses (even a couple of conference junkets to Amsterdam and Barcelona) have been expensed.

Is there a difference between those companies putting these things through as expenses and me doing it through my company?

Comment

Expense everything; let your accountant and the T-man argue about it later. The worst thing that can happen is that it is not allowed.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

When I worked for Barclays as a permie years ago they used to pay for you to do OU courses if you wanted to as long as it was something that was seen as a benefit to the business. With this in mind I don't see charging an OU degree in something computing related to your company as a problem.

Comment

Working...
              X