• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loaning money from the company for three months?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loaning money from the company for three months?

I know that there are rules governing taking money out of the business (as a loan) and then repaying it, but I'm not sure of the rules. i.e. are the rules dependent on how long you loan the money for etc?

We are in the process of buying a reposessed house as an investment and our plan is to buy the house for cash. Tart it up a bit and then mortgage it. If we mortgage it after the house has been modernised a bit we should be able to secure a higher valuation and thus a higher mortgage based on 75% of property value.

So we were wondering if we could take £50k out of the business account for 2/3 months and then put it back again?

Thanks for any advice!

Originally posted by oxtailsoup View Post
    I know that there are rules governing taking money out of the business (as a loan) and then repaying it, but I'm not sure of the rules. i.e. are the rules dependent on how long you loan the money for etc?

We are in the process of buying a reposessed house as an investment and our plan is to buy the house for cash. Tart it up a bit and then mortgage it. If we mortgage it after the house has been modernised a bit we should be able to secure a higher valuation and thus a higher mortgage based on 75% of property value.

So we were wondering if we could take £50k out of the business account for 2/3 months and then put it back again?

Thanks for any advice!
    Yes, but you should pay interest at the "offical rate" - see HMRC - otherwise the interest in a benefit in kind. Also it needs to be paid back within 9 months of the year end otherwise it will attract a tax charge of 25% (repaid when the loan is repaid).

Comment

yes no problem...you pay 4.75% on 45K of it and if the company owes u any money you can offset that too

Comment

My accountant doesn't care what I do as long as it is all square by company year end.

Comment

Thanks for the replies Guys.

Comment

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ct/returns/director-loan.htm

My accoutant said something about a £5k limit...

Comment

Working...
            X