• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment & Umbrella Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment & Umbrella Company

I've just received a Self Assessment form for the tax year 2004/5. During this time I worked under an Umbrella Company.

I have now seen sense and recently set up my ltd company (Sept 2005). Do you think that I've been sent the form in error (or am I living in a dream world???)and do I still need to fill in the self assessment? - I thought I would have been covered by the Umbrella Company.

Thanks
    I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Everyone earning over the higher rate tax band will be sent a self assessment form unless they have a proven history of always getting it correct in these cases the IR will write to exclude you from the scheme.

Anyone else who has recently been in self-employment, a director or who owns shares and receives dividends will also be sent one (if they know you have received them).

If you have property that you rent out you will also be sent one

Finally the IR also select random cases each year that normally wouldn't get a form to ensure their criteria for selection is still current.

Its not arduous to fill in and its a self-assessment form not an employee assessment form so the umbrella shouldn't come into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie
      do I still need to fill in the self assessment?
      If you've been sent the form, you need to fill it in.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        And of course in the spirit of Catch 22, even if you haven't been sent the form, you still need to fill it in...
        and volunteer information to the IR about all those dividends and expense allowances you've been receiving
        TB
        Let's go to Italy

Comment

Working...
        X