• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Director's loan + Offset mortgage = low interest?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Director's loan + Offset mortgage = low interest?

I have a cunning plan..
    Let's say my company can lend me 100K as a director's loan at 4.75% interest. My Ltd pays 21% Corporation Tax on the interest, rest can be taken as divs / salary / whatever.

Get an offset mortgage at x%? (er what's a fair rate with 50% equity)

How long does directors loan have to be paid back each year?

......I'm thinking that doing it this way I'm going to save 2 or 3% interest on the loan from the bank.....

Are there legs in this?
    Hope so

Yes, but expect to pay BIK on this....so don't.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

no BIK - I'm paying interest to the Ltd!!!
      ...or are you CERTAIN ???

Comment

IANAA, but pretty sure. And all loans have to be paid back within 9 months of company year-end I think). There is an upper limit of something like £5k which attracts the BIK.
        Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

I'm fairly sure that the £5k upper limit is the interest free limit before it becomes a BIK. I don't however know the status of loans upon which you are paying interest.
          Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

You might find from the perspective of the loan that you end up paying an early repayment charge to your lender, depending on the % of the capital being repaid through the loan?

Comment

"I'm fairly sure that the £5k upper limit is the interest free limit before it becomes a BIK. I don't however know the status of loans upon which you are paying interest."

Sorry, my fault - I said "director's loan". That probably only refers to the 5K interest free bit. I wasn't referring to that at all. A Ltd can lend money to staff, directors, probably someone's dog.... as long as they pay 4.75% interest minimum.

"You might find from the perspective of the loan that you end up paying an early repayment charge to your lender, depending on the % of the capital being repaid through the loan?"

Erm...really? I thought offset mortgages were pretty flexible in that respect. You pay interest on the diff between your bank balance and the outstanding loan. I would aim to structure repayments so no penalties are incurred. Perhaps 15K a year or something. I wouldn't not be repaying ANY capital through the loan - just using the offset mechanism

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                You might find from the perspective of the loan that you end up paying an early repayment charge to your lender, depending on the % of the capital being repaid through the loan?
                ?? Hisco would be lending the cash and therefore presumably wouldn't levy an early repayment charge

Alternatively if you mean the mortgage, then the whole idea of an offset is that you can repay any or all of it as and when you feel like it without penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                  Erm...really? I thought offset mortgages were pretty flexible in that respect. You pay interest on the diff between your bank balance and the outstanding loan. I would aim to structure repayments so no penalties are incurred. Perhaps 15K a year or something. I wouldn't not be repaying ANY capital through the loan - just using the offset mechanism
                  You're right, and furthermore, if you wish to actually pay off the capital for whatever reason, you are also free to do that without penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post

Get an offset mortgage at x%? (er what's a fair rate with 50% equity)
                    With that LTV, plenty of offsets in 3% to 4% range.

So not sure what you would gain by lending at 4.75%, even ignoring the corp tax due on the payments?
                    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Working...
                    X