• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you sign this Petition?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
    I look forward to your response when Labour retrospectively clarify IR35 and ask for the last 8 years tax....with interest.

If a precedent is set now for retrospective legislation we might as well all be PAYE.
    Let's be under no illusion here, it was HMRC who were behind this legislation. They dithered over the enquiry for 5 years and when they finally realised they wouldn't win in court, they got the Govt to legislate. The tail was definitely wagging the dog in this case.

And let's not forget, this isn't the first time that HMRC have tried to pull a stunt like this. Remember Arctic? That may not have been new legislation but it was still a blatant attempt at a retrospective tax grab.

Be warned, you haven't heard the last from them. Only a Tory Govt may save us from further excesses.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      Be warned, you haven't heard the last from them. Only a Tory Govt may save us from further excesses.
      Sadly I doubt that any UK government will ignore an opportunity to collect additional tax so long as it doesn't change the Headline grabbing tax rates, they're all very much of a muchness when it comes to trousering tax money for their pet projects.

Comment

Only a Tory Govt may save us from further excesses.
        Really?
        "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
        "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
          Really?
          I did say "may".

Since the merger of Customs & Excise and the Inland Revenue, the bully boy culture of the former seems to have taken over completely. My brother-in-law used to work for C&E, and the only pleasure he got out of the job was frightening and intimidating people. Fortunately, he quit and has now successfully reintegrated into society.

Comment

I did say "may".

Since the merger of Customs & Excise and the Inland Revenue, the bully boy culture of the former seems to have taken over completely. My brother-in-law used to work for C&E, and the only pleasure he got out of the job was frightening and intimidating people. Fortunately, he quit and has now successfully reintegrated into society.
            The HMRC are better than in the past, almost "human" .... - but I think much of it is due to the Staffing cut backs and constant re-organisations.

You should just put the petition onto the No 10 site. I am sure lots of us, that use other forums will be able to promote it. Also it would be possible to have links to your petition on our own web sites

Comment

Originally posted by Little'Old Me View Post
              You should just put the petition onto the No 10 site. I am sure lots of us, that use other forums will be able to promote it. Also it would be possible to have links to your petition on our own web sites
              Watch this space...

Comment

I wasn't in the scheme but retrospective legislation is akin to criminal negligence.
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Not in the scheme either but retrospective legislation is a very bad thing. As someone said earlier when would it stop and what else could be "tightened up" and brought in retrospectively. So am perfectly happy to sign a petition.

Comment

Working...
                  X