• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

University fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

University fees

My daughter is hoping to go to university in September.

I am contracting via my own limited company, with a low salary and high dividends. On the application form for university if your household income is less than 25K you can claim a maintenance grant.

As my salary is less than 25K would it be wrong to claim the grant, even though with dividends my income would be well above 25K?

Not sure this seems right or ethical.

You might instead be able to "employ" your daughter to do some office for you.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
      You might instead be able to "employ" your daughter to do some office for you.
      Would you charge per employee or go for a group rate?

Comment

Originally posted by Reporter View Post

I am contracting via my own limited company, with a low salary and high dividends. On the application form for university if your household income is less than 25K you can claim a maintenance grant.

As my salary is less than 25K would it be wrong to claim the grant, even though with dividends my income would be well above 25K?

Being "right" or "ethical" is 20th Century idea.

This is the 21st Century. Grab what you can, while there is still something to grab.

Of course, even though your salary is low your household income is not. I am not sure how the process treats someone in your situation.

Comment

Right or ethical? I guess that's down to your own moral perspective. Certainly you didn't make their rules, just obey them. However, generally by household income they mean just that. They are not normally talking about salary. Check the application form and see how it defines said income.

Comment

Any Dividends or Interest received from shares or savings counts as an Income, no matter how small or big. I would declare it If I were you.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, my mistake, it is "Household Income" below 25K so with with salary plus dividends I am above that.

Moral dilema over!

Comment

Moral dilema over!
                Moral dilemma? Should I get the nation to pay for my duaghter's education even though I earn miuch more than most or should I pay it myself. The fact that you even had the dilemma would suggest a lack of morals.

Comment

Working...
                X