• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Xmas Party...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xmas Party...

...wel you know what I mean...

Thinking of doing something for my employees (ME!!) and their other halves (her) in the next month or so...hotel in London, show, restaurant...been through the blurb on the HMRC website and was a bit confused by the following statement...

* the total cost of the events for the tax year is no more than £150 per person

So...question...

What is the 'tax year' in question ... personal tax year (6th - 5th April) or company tax year.

Cheers

IIRC, it's company tax year, since it would be a company expense.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Sounds about right....may have to put it of till June then !!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
        * the total cost of the events for the tax year is no more than £150 per person
        Employee

You can't take your wife and claim £300, but then you probably knew that anyway

Comment

Originally posted by deckster View Post
          Employee

We seem to have this discussion every few months! I thought last time settled on 150 for each employee and a max of one guest. So you + wife as guest = 300 quid. If wife is on the books then you plus wife + 2 guests = 600 quid.

Bah.
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
            We seem to have this discussion every few months! I thought last time settled on 150 for each employee and a max of one guest. So you + wife as guest = 300 quid. If wife is on the books then you plus wife + 2 guests = 600 quid.

Bah.
            Indeed we do, but since when has that stopped us having a discussion / argument on CUK!

I agree with you though - £150 per employee, each person can bring one guest.

If you go over the £150 a head, then the whole lot is taxable, not just that bit over the £150.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Well bugger me, it's not just me that's wrong this time. It's £150 per head, and not just one guest per employee:

Originally posted by HMRC in EIM21690
              The figure of £150 is not an allowance. For functions that are outside the scope of the exemption (see example at EIM21691) directors and employees, except those in an excluded employment, are chargeable on the full cost per head, not just the excess over £150, in respect of:

* themselves and
              * any members of their family and household who attend as guests.

The cost of the function includes VAT and the cost of transport and/or overnight accommodation if these are provided to enable employees to attend. Divide the total cost of each function by the total number of people ( including non-employees) who attend in order to arrive at the cost per head.
              (their bold)

So as long as they're part of your 'family and household' then you can take as many people as you like and spend up to £150 each. Marvellous. Although, as has been said, you can't spend £301 and claim £300.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Actually no it not - Its comes under BIK exemptions - so it Payroll year (06 April to 05 April)

Also it needs to be a regular event rather than a one off.

Comment

Originally posted by deckster View Post
                  Employee

Cut and paste straight from HMRC site that one

Comment

Sorry but can I bore you on how this came about?

A company decided to take their employees off for a Spa weekend each year instead of holding a Christmas Party. The HMRC disallowed it on the grounds that there was no music and could not be considered a Party and therefore it was a BIK, taxable to the employees.

It went to appeal and the commissioners, confirmed - one annual event each year is allowable, in what form is not relevant - just the amount spent on the event must not be over £150 per person including guests! Up to that point, no-one knew that guests were allowed!

Comment

Working...
                    X