• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small (and not so small) Umbrella companies and Ponzi schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PayMatters View Post
    not pay you your full entitlement as you become a creditor (behind the tax man).
    HMRC lost their preferred creditor status in 2003. A side effect of this has been that they now seem to be much quicker to force insolvency.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
      What protection does that provide in the even of liquidation?
      I don't see how it can provide any unfortunately. Since it's not actual client money it cannot be in actual client accounts and out of reach of creditors.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        I don't see how it can provide any unfortunately. Since it's not actual client money it cannot be in actual client accounts and out of reach of creditors.
        Exactly. Which is why I asked.

Comment

You're right very little as they aren't specifically client monies (client money can be ring fenced from the other debts of an insolvent business).

What it means though is that we treat them as if they are client monies and hence the business is funded from profit and other sources (and not reliant on tax monies).

Comment

Originally posted by andyc2000 View Post
            Not sure it's fair to use the term 'greedy' for anyone trying to figure out which is the best option when it comes to sensible and effective tax planning. All this has happened since the very unfair IR35 came into being.

BTW there is no such word as 'gullible'.
            It IS fair to call them greedy - why do you think it is not - I agree that no one should pay more tax etc than they are due - but some people just know the scheme they are using is dodgy but as long as they save a few quid they take the risk - seems fair to call that kind of person greedy.

Comment

Working...
            X