• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Registration - How Long?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT Registration - How Long?

So...I submit a new VAT registration online on 22 December.

HMRC write back asking for proof of trade / intention to trade on 30 December. I write back the same day with a copy of a purchase order and ask them to contact me if it is not sufficient.

I speak to VAT registrations team mid-January to confirm all is OK and I'm advised it is and that my registration should be processed shortly.

I've still not heard anything from them, and I've been on hold for the last 20 minutes waiting to speak to them.

SNAFU?

VAT registration process sped up a lot recently but it seems to have slowed down again. Seems like every application gets a request for further information - even although the information requested is already on the original app. My view is that the VAT office have been set a completion target and they can avoid having to hit this target by clogging up the works with meaningless information requests.

Still seems a long time in your case though.

Comment

Originally posted by Crossroads View Post
      So...I submit a new VAT registration online on 22 December.

HMRC write back asking for proof of trade / intention to trade on 30 December. I write back the same day with a copy of a purchase order and ask them to contact me if it is not sufficient.

I speak to VAT registrations team mid-January to confirm all is OK and I'm advised it is and that my registration should be processed shortly.

I've still not heard anything from them, and I've been on hold for the last 20 minutes waiting to speak to them.

SNAFU?
      applied March 07, VAT number arrived Sept 07.

Comment

Working...
      X