• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Preparing my VAT return

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparing my VAT return

The last VAT quarter, in my case, covers two invoices at the old rate, and one invoice at the new rate. So I've calculated my VAT return to repay the first two invoices at 13%, and the third invoice at 11.5%.

When completing the return to send back, in box 6 I have to put the gross for the period, but the actual amount I am paying back doesn't look right (in terms if the percentage) because it's made up of two different rates. Does this matter? Will HMRC require any kind of breakdown of my return, so that they can see how the figures were calculated?

Originally posted by Gros View Post
    The last VAT quarter, in my case, covers two invoices at the old rate, and one invoice at the new rate. So I've calculated my VAT return to repay the first two invoices at 13%, and the third invoice at 11.5%.

When completing the return to send back, in box 6 I have to put the gross for the period, but the actual amount I am paying back doesn't look right (in terms if the percentage) because it's made up of two different rates. Does this matter? Will HMRC require any kind of breakdown of my return, so that they can see how the figures were calculated?
    So just pay back 12.5% of the VAT of the whole lot.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gros View Post

I would imagine 75% of people doing a quarterly return who are on fixed rate VAT have the same thing.

Just fill in the figures accurately. The VAT people are not daft.

Comment

Preparing my VAT return

From what you have detailed in your post your calculation of your return appears to be correct.

HMRC will obviously be aware that the returns made to them incorporating the Nov/Dec period will be calculated at two different rates & will therefore differ to your previous returns.

As always, you will need to keep copies of your workings should HMRC require them.

Comment

Working...
        X