• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Cost of new/old Mobile phone a capital Expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Cost of new/old Mobile phone a capital Expense?

Hi, I wanted to know (excluding tarriff plans) if the cost of a brand new phone(from operator) or used(from ebay or shop) is a capital/fixed Asset expenditure or not?.

If It is a capital expense, what are the depreciation and wda rukes

thanks

css_jay99

is cost of new/old mobile phone a capital expense?

Hi

I'm a newbie to the forum but may be able to help on this one

Normally yes it's a capital expense.

- If cost was below £100 HMRC may allow it as a revenue expense.

- Depreciation rate is a policy decision by the directors

- Bear in mind the writing down allowance may be restricted for private usage

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
      Hi, I wanted to know (excluding tarriff plans) if the cost of a brand new phone(from operator) or used(from ebay or shop) is a capital/fixed Asset expenditure or not?.

If It is a capital expense, what are the depreciation and wda rukes

thanks

css_jay99
      I would agree that technically it is a capital expense, however for small companies they benefit from 100% tax allowances in the first year.

In simple terms this means there is no tax difference as to whether it is treated as capital or revenue.

For small value items, they would tend to be treated as revenue.

Alan

Comment

I bought the mobile for £200 off ebay and i currently have a simplicity tarrif which is registered to me via my company.

Thats why i was thinking of making the cost of the phone an expense as its way too much hassel depreciating/writing it down ...and then its accounting treatment till it has no value.......

css_jay99

Comment

Working...
        X