• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie with offsite overseas contract concerns

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with offsite overseas contract concerns

Hi all,

I have searched for this, but only found a similar question with no answers.

I am current employed (perm), and will be leaving the job shortly (and returning to the UK after 2 years in Germany). There I will be taking up essentially the same job, for the same company, but based in the UK (where the company currently has no office), as a consultant, via a contract with the US head office. I obviously do not expect to avoid IR35 for this. My questions / concerns come from the fact I will be working from home, based in the UK.

Are there any additional tax implications as a result of the US contract?

Is there any room within IR35 for deductible operating costs (i.e. office space / equipment for conducting the work, etc... as none will be provided)?

Am I being overly cautious by assuming IR35 applies as, although this is the same job, there are a number of other complications which mean I am not simply pretending not to be a perm? As a perm, I'd expect an office, equipment (PC + certain SW), etc... which simply are not provided in this approach.

Thanks for any insight you can give, and sorry if this has been asked and answered before, I honestly could not find it using the search (may have been searching for the wrong thing).

Crite

offsite overseas contract concerns

Hi

New to the forum but not to the subject matter -

-additional tax implications as a result of the US contract - no.

(the US company should set up a PAYE scheme in the UK. normal PAYE rules apply)

- deductible operating costs - yes.
    (usual PAYE legislation applies for claims for expenses when working from home.)

-re. IR35 - normal IR35 interpretation applies - degree of supervision/financial risk/substitutes etc

hope this helps

Comment

Working...
    X