• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Request for VAT inspection

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Sit tight and wait for them to get in touch. If they refuse to do it by post or on Saturday, speak to your Accountant, have a meeting with them and then arrange to meet the VAT man and say that you plan to invoice them for loss of business. I can't really suggest anything else to be honest.
    Having a VAT inspection is a cost of doing business. If you don't want to suffer that cost the solution is easy, don't register.

The idea that you can bill them for lost time (and that they would pay) is ridiculous.

tim

Comment

Change your accountant!

I had an inspection about 7 years ago. They sent a lady to my home who went through all the docs I supplied. She told me I'd over paid £200+ and said to claim it back on the next return. And I wasnt on the FRS.

If you're on the FRS, I dont see what you're bothered about unless you've been putting through stuff you shouldnt have.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

tim - interesting tangent regarding inviting vat people to a client!

other views like "change your accountant" because he suggested trying to resolve it by post - excellent, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by lexington_spurs View Post
          tim - interesting tangent regarding inviting vat people to a client!

other views like "change your accountant" because he suggested trying to resolve it by post - excellent, thanks.
          I made that suggestion because he said "don't let them see your bank statements"

It is pretty obvious he has never encountered a VAT inspection before if he thinks that is the slightest bit possible.

Do you really want to be using an accountant who knows zip all about the VAT process?

As to visiting you at the client, well I suppose that this might just be possible is it is within the same general area (but then you wouldn't be losing enough hours to worry about, would you ). But if you are working away from home there is no chance.

I had to take two days off for the last one because the bugger only worked Tuesday to Thursday and I was on a Mon-Fri Commute.

tim
          Last edited by tim123; 7 February 2009, 13:36.

Comment

My reply seems ruder than was intended - cuk is getting to me.

His advice was to query if they really wanted to come on site to look at a handful of invoices when they could do it by post.

Comment

Have had 2 VAT inspections over a large number of years. 2 different companies. All straight forward and OK. Low key.

I didn't feel put under a looking glass and they didn't look too closely. Nothing to hide anyway. I just mean that they weren't too officious or "jobs worthy".

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by lexington_spurs View Post
                His advice was to query if they really wanted to come on site to look at a handful of invoices when they could do it by post.
                They don't want to look at a handful of invoices.

They spend 2-3 hours totalling everything up, looking at whatever documents they think necessary (at my first they wanted to see my "contracts" to make sure that the payments in matched the contracted amounts) to check that you are:

a) not making school-boy errors.

b) not running a fiddle.

tim

Comment

I've had a couple of VAT inspections over the years, both were straight forward and friendly visits.

I was given useful advice by the inspector on the first visit that my Accountant had missed.

Comment

Had one, no probs. VAT is pretty straightforward for a contractor. No real grey areas and little scope for major errors.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Just to add to the other comments, mine was at my home, pretty straightforward, showed them (as far as I can remember):

Invoices raised
                      Receipts kept
                      Spreadsheet on which I kept the "current picture" of the business and calculated the vat (before FRS).

They pointed out that I could claim some VAT back on the mileage expenses.

They ate some hob-nobs and left.

Don't worry too much.

Comment

Working...
                      X