• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do if baliffs come knocking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    No I just want to know some tips on staying below the radar of HMRC so they don't come knocking or investigating. Me and just about every other poster on this site.
    Pay your CT, Employers NI and VAT on time.
    Submit your annual accounts and company return on time.
    Don't take the piss.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

No I just want to know some tips on staying below the radar of HMRC so they don't come knocking or investigating. Me and just about every other poster on this site.
      I am quite happy to consider writing an article on the subject - but it is so wide - I assume you are talking about those operating through their own company and outside IR35 - could you perhaps give me a scenario and I'll see what I can come up with .... those working through umbrellas are employees of the umbrella and it will be the umbrella that will be investgated not the employee - those operating through their own company and complying with the requirements of IR35 are very low risk ......

email [email protected]

Regards

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Don't take the piss.
        Alot of people have done all that and still got grief. In particular there are now 2 people from the bn66 thread who have had the baliffs sent round.

HMRC presume guilt!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Alot of people have done all that and still got grief. In particular there are now 2 people from the bn66 thread who have had the baliffs sent round.

HMRC presume guilt!
          Without wanting to restart old arguments and purely IMVHO, doing anything that ended up caught by BN66 falls under the "Taking the piss" category.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Wise advice but there are other tips - and none of them illegal. For example - before I submit a set of accounts to HMRC I look at them from the HMRC perspective, I try to think of any questions they are likely to ask and answer them in the form of an explanation on the return or in a covering letter. In the case of a person who is self employed it is wise to send in the full accounts under separate cover as the tax return is merely a summary of the figures. For example - take a property letting business - last year the repairs were £100 and this year they are £15000 - odds on HMRC will enquire - so submit the return over internet but,as a separate issue, send a letter with an explanation of the expense and copy receipts with copy bank/credit card statements to back it up - in one case I have a full digital photographic record of repairs - before, during and after ... that way honest people can avoid an enquiry which could prove costly in agents fees and a waste of government resources -- bottom line be honest and on time in all your dealings .... if, say, following Dragonfly, you are concerned about your IR35 proof contract then I am not the person to consult - I try to avoid such clients - if in doubt take out insurance - there is a thread involving QDOS running elsewhere ..

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Without wanting to restart old arguments and purely IMVHO, doing anything that ended up caught by BN66 falls under the "Taking the piss" category.
              That is your opinion and I would die for your right to say it. Though you are wrong!

What about those caught in IR35 investigations or S660?

Even before I was with montpelier I got investigated a few times : I was squeaky clean as was eventually proven. But was alot of hassle proving it due to the presumption of guilt. Lucky for me I have a v v good accountant.

Comment

Working...
              X