• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing Ltd down after 6 months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing Ltd down after 6 months

HI

if i wanted to close my company down which had a turnover (so far) of £12k how would i go about it ?

What would happen if i kept the company and i got a permie ? >>> Tax wise etc

Any implications i.e. IR35 and VAT ?

How much would it cost me in the short term ?

I have done some research but i haven't found any concrete answers.

Credit Crunch thinking of jumping ship for the mean time .

Regards
    Mor4
    Last edited by Mor4; 18 January 2009, 14:04. Reason: missed out words

Originally posted by Mor4 View Post
    HI

if i wanted to close my company down which had a turnover (so far) of £12k how would i go about it ?

Regards
    Mor4
    Do a search on this site for CT 300 (or something similar). In terms of cost and your other issues... speak to your accountant... and if you don't have an accountant, you will need to find one soon.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

HI

Regards
      Mor4

You get your accountant to do it. Then HMRC have to give final permission for the company to be struck off. Closing it down though could flag it up to them for all sorts of investigations, ie ir35, s660, VAT etc.

Probably better to just make it dormant ie not trading for the rest of its accounting year then either initiate closure or start trading again.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If you're only thinking about going perm as an interim measure (even a few years) there's nothing to stop you keeping your Ltd company open and dormant, it's entirely up to you.

Comment

Make a capital distribution using taper relief and any remainder using your capital gains allowance.
          Ask your accountant for specifics.

At least, thats how I did it years ago.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

If you've only done one contract, then there is a chance that HMRC could say that you had no intention of running a business, and charge you additional tax / NIC.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              If you've only done one contract, then there is a chance that HMRC could say that you had no intention of running a business, and charge you additional tax / NIC.

Thanks for the quick responses .

Yes this was the only contract through my ltd. I really wanted to stay with the ltd setup but after reading the doom and gloom i am bit scared for the next couple of months.

The situation is quite simple in terms of the current contract.I am on very good terms with the management and i have been told that i will have to leave once they get the permie in due to chief exec saying cut out the contractors.I have been looking at the contracting market for 2nd line its quite bleak at the moment.

If you're only thinking about going perm as an interim measure (even a few years) there's nothing to stop you keeping your Ltd company open and dormant, it's entirely up to you.
              I will look into "dormant"

Regards
              Mor4

Comment

I will look into "dormant"

Regards
                Mor4
                If you are likely to return to contracting, then that may well be the best move (IANAA).

Best of luck with finding either another contract or a permie role.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X