• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on choosing part time permanent employee vs freelancer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on choosing part time permanent employee vs freelancer

I presently work full time for a company that I have worked for the last 4 years and I am 2 months into my notice period. I recently handed in my notice to operate as a direct seller of a diet food full time, something I intended to do as a 'sole trader'. I have since been offered a part time role working for the company I work for at present, something that would be very beneficial to suppliment my income, particularly whilst starting up a new business!

My question is, would I be better off working as a part time permanent member of staff or a freelancer? Obviously I'm aware I can earn more money as a freelancer and I wonder if then I would be best to set up a limited company and then put my direct selling through it also....then I can pass it all over to an accountant to sort out tax wise etc.....

This is all new territory to me and I'm sure there are a lot of factors that I need to consider, so just wondered what advice was out there really!?

i, too, recently applied for a job i saw advertised on a piece of cardboard tied to a lamppost by the North Circular, promising a net return of £3,000+ per week. it'll pay out any day now....boomed! do i need an accountant?
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard
    You're fulfilling a business role not partaking in a rock and roll concert.

Comment

Originally posted by sjs View Post
      I presently work full time for a company that I have worked for the last 4 years and I am 2 months into my notice period. I recently handed in my notice to operate as a direct seller of a diet food full time, something I intended to do as a 'sole trader'. I have since been offered a part time role working for the company I work for at present, something that would be very beneficial to suppliment my income, particularly whilst starting up a new business!

My question is, would I be better off working as a part time permanent member of staff or a freelancer? Obviously I'm aware I can earn more money as a freelancer and I wonder if then I would be best to set up a limited company and then put my direct selling through it also....then I can pass it all over to an accountant to sort out tax wise etc.....

This is all new territory to me and I'm sure there are a lot of factors that I need to consider, so just wondered what advice was out there really!?
      I would setup a limited company and do it that way. Even if your contract is within IR35, you can still make some saving by having 5% expenses offset, and possibly by being on the flat rate VAT scheme (if you are likely to hit the VAT threshold).

Best of luck with it, whatever you decide.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
      X