• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Difficulty getting or choosing PI cover

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficulty getting or choosing PI cover

I've been without PI cover for a while as i'm currently working within one of the industries that appears on the 'do you work within one of the following: Pharms, Aviation.....etc' list that appears whenever you try to apply for cover.

Once you tick one of these it wont provide a quote and instead just tells you to contact a rep for cover. Have tried this and it just ends up in me being given endless reams of forms to fill out (the size of the set of forms i received was staggering). This includes the general 'IT Contractor' policies recommended on this site.

Worrying thing is that as a contractor i'd expect to chop and change industries. I'd assume that contractors who take their insurance out when working at a banking contract then move a few months later to another industry (eg aviation which commands a higher premium) and make a claim will find their insurance isn't worth the paper its written on? If i binned my car and phoned up my insurers to say 'oh, by the way, i was driving my Ferrari rather than the Peugeot i mentioned when i took out the insurance, is that a problem'? Not a perfect analogy but you hopefully get what i mean.

I'm more interested in covering my Plan B activities so can any insurers out there recommend a company that will cover:

a. Sales of Plan B software sold in the name of my Ltd to Joe Public in case a user sues due to software defects or similar
    b. General 'IT Contractor' policy given that industry and roles can and will change frequently
    c. No ridiculous amount of paperwork given b. above

I'm happy to pay a premium but want to be 100% sure that i'm actually covered for all eventualities. Given that i run my company as a 'company' with fingers in various pies rather than just being a freelancer, am i looking in totally the wrong place with these contractor policies?

Ta

Have you tried Hiscox. I had a client who couldn't get insured because they contracted in a shipyard (?) but Hiscox put them on risk immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
      Have you tried Hiscox. I had a client who couldn't get insured because they contracted in a shipyard (?) but Hiscox put them on risk immediately.
      Spoke to them today, they seemed pleasant but not got a quote yet as same story, its got to go via the underwriters but at least it was easier telling someone over the phone what i do rather than filling in endless forms.

Comment

Working...
      X