• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Choosing umbrella company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing umbrella company

Hi,

Its my firs post here but I'm sure - not last one I'm just planning to start new job as field engineer at Techguys (contractor). They told me to choose an umbrella company but I don't have any idea which is the best one for my role. I will get paid 75 pound per day regardless how many call-outs I will get from hub. They told me that I can use up to 3 pounds per day for mobile and 20p/mile for petrol. I was looking on some posts here and guides for newbies but most of them are for hourly rate role, even when I'm using calculator on any umbrella company website there is always h rate/ sometimes weekly or monthly income. I don't want to start my limited company as I don't know do I want to stay with this company so I prefer to use umbrella company on beginning and if I like this job, I can switch to ltd (please correct me if I'm wrong). So main question is - which umbrella company will be best to use in my case. Please advise if you have any suggestions for freshman like me and sorry for my english.

You can change to a ltd anytime you want, but check that whichever umbrella you use doesn't have an exit fee (not sure if they are allowed to apply one but I'd check anyway)

Standard umbrellas are pretty much all the same, charge between 20 - 30 quid a week.

Comment

Pick up the phone and give some of them a call, they should be able to give you a quote. Your situation isn't exactly unique.

I don't think that bigger will always be better with brollies mind. In general the only way they differ is the fee they charge (around £20-30) and the customer service you receive... and with some of the 'larger' companies I understand service isn't always the best (allegedly)

Comment

If you're new to this it might be better going for a local company that you can visit to get a better understanding of things

Comment

Working...
        X