• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CGT on Dividends query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT on Dividends query

Morning all.

Had a spreadsheet from my accountant, advising the impact of taking a £60,000 div in my 08/09 company year.

Can't get hold of my normal rep as she is now on holiday and someone else will call me back.. I love urgency, but I need to work out my house deposit availability today!

I am confused.

They have listed income as:

Employment £6,300
    UK Divs/Tax Credits £66,666

Income Tax
    £34,535 @ 10% Divs rate = £3,453.50
    £265 @ 20% Basic rate = £53.00
    £32,131 @ 32.5% Higher Divs rate = £10,442.57

Taking off Tax Credit on Divs of £6,666.60 and £493.00 already paid at source they then add £5,472 in CGT making my total tax liability £12,261.47

I am unsure as to why I pay higher rate on the Divs and then additionally pay this CGT amount.

Can anyone help answer this, or perhaps think of another way that might be more efficient?

I am sole director, 100% shareholder.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by kookachoo View Post
    Morning all.

Had a spreadsheet from my accountant, advising the impact of taking a £60,000 div in my 08/09 company year.

Can't get hold of my normal rep as she is now on holiday and someone else will call me back.. I love urgency, but I need to work out my house deposit availability today!

I am confused.

They have listed income as:

Employment £6,300
    UK Divs/Tax Credits £66,666

Income Tax
    £34,535 @ 10% Divs rate = £3,453.50
    £265 @ 20% Basic rate = £53.00
    £32,131 @ 32.5% Higher Divs rate = £10,442.57

Taking off Tax Credit on Divs of £6,666.60 and £493.00 already paid at source they then add £5,472 in CGT making my total tax liability £12,261.47

I am unsure as to why I pay higher rate on the Divs and then additionally pay this CGT amount.

Can anyone help answer this, or perhaps think of another way that might be more efficient?

I am sole director, 100% shareholder.

Thanks in advance.
    The CGT is probably on something else. Did you sell a property or any shares last year. Did you wind up a company?

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Nope, nothing like that at all... just took my pittance of a salary... I didn't think CGT was payable on Divs, or even if it was - how can I be taxed twice?!

Comment

Originally posted by kookachoo View Post
        Thanks for your reply.

Nope, nothing like that at all... just took my pittance of a salary... I didn't think CGT was payable on Divs, or even if it was - how can I be taxed twice?!
        It isn't. It is only payable on a gain made on the disposal of an asset.

Comment

You're right... they just called and said... oh don't know why that is there..

Comment

Get a new accountant.
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
            X