• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How deal with disclosure requests from agencies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How deal with disclosure requests from agencies?

Hi forum,

hope I picked the right forum for this and am not off topic.

I contract in IT and find it's becoming increasingly difficult to avoid getting my CV doubly (or multiply) posted to clients. I used to think it reasonable to expect that an agent would have to disclose to me who the client is if he wants to forward my CV, so that I could proactively avoid double forwards.

Now I come across more recruiters who wish to forward my CV without telling me who the client is--not a problem if you only apply for a single contract at one time (not very realistic, obviously), but clearly problematic when applying a lot.

Recently I was on the phone with a recruiter from Computer People (Adecco), who demanded from me to disclose any contracts that my CV's recently been forwarded to (and also demanding references up front), while at the same time insisting he would then forward my CV without telling me the client.

Clearly, it's not in my interest to disclose my ongoing applications to other recruiters, and would be incorrect towards those other agencies. Also, by not telling me who he forwards my CV to, he would make it impossible for me to keep track myself and avoid future double forwards.

A day earlier a colleague of his had called my up about references while clearly trolling for Business Intelligence (asking team sizes and such).

How best deal with recruiters like that? Not doing business with them seems a big loss, as they are so large, but the terms seem unacceptable?

Originally posted by Orkwood Cylons View Post
    Recently I was on the phone with a recruiter from Computer People (Adecco), who demanded from me to disclose any contracts that my CV's recently been forwarded to (and also demanding references up front), while at the same time insisting he would then forward my CV without telling me the client.
    Simple - if they won't tell you who it is, want to know who you've been talking to, and want references up front, they don't have a role to put you forward for. Tell them to fark orf.

Comment

Originally posted by Orkwood Cylons View Post
      ....How best deal with recruiters like that? Not doing business with them seems a big loss, as they are so large, but the terms seem unacceptable?
      It may seem a big loss but this is an illusion. Just because they are large doesn't mean you need to deal with them. If they don't actually have a contract for you then it doesn't matter how large they are. The terms are unacceptable.

Look at it this way: Computer People ask you to tell them where your CV has been sent to. How would you know, unless the agencies that sent it have told you? So why won't Computer People tell you? What makes them special?

Comment

There's a very simple solution to agents wanting to know who else you've sent your CV to as a precursor to the whole fishing trip:

Tell them "No-one, you're the first one as I've only just started looking.".

Works for me everytime.

I'm sure some of the brighter agents know it's bollox, but there's absolutely nothing they can do about it to recover back to fishing.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

If you want to say that you've applied to a couple of places, tell them that they are all classified projects that you can't talk about because of the Official Secrets Act. I occasionally tell them "I could tell you, but the people that I'm talking to would come round and detain you somewhere unpleasant if I did / I could tell you, but I'd have to have you killed / etc."

Implies that you have been talking to people about real roles, but are not allowed to give them any more information, which gets rid of their awkward questions.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            There's a very simple solution to agents wanting to know who else you've sent your CV to as a precursor to the whole fishing trip:

Tell them "No-one, you're the first one as I've only just started looking.".

Works for me everytime.

I'm sure some of the brighter agents know it's bollox, but there's absolutely nothing they can do about it to recover back to fishing.
            I like it! Though it does conflict with my usual attempt to suggest that I am in great demand...

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              I like it! Though it does conflict with my usual attempt to suggest that I am in great demand...
              Not if you imply that you've only just started looking because you've been so busy up till now, and don't really need the work.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Or just got back from a well earned holiday, batteries recharged.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                X