• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are already being investigated.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are already being investigated.

after you submitted your SA tax return 07/08.

A new chapter has begun.

Care to enlighten us?

Comment

Originally posted by juststarting View Post
      after you submitted your SA tax return 07/08.

A new chapter has begun.
      Who? What? When? Where? Why?

Who gets their tax return in before January?
      I'm already being investigated for every year since 03/04. No doubt I will be for 07/08 when I submit. My experience of investigations? HMRC sends out abusive letters, does nothing, gets Govt to introduce retrospective legislation to attempt to fraudulently collect tax that isn't due to them.

New chapter? Don't think so
      Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
      "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post

I'm already being investigated for every year since 03/04. No doubt I will be for 07/08 when I submit. My experience of investigations? HMRC sends out abusive letters, does nothing, gets Govt to introduce retrospective legislation to attempt to fraudulently collect tax that isn't due to them.

New chapter? Don't think so
        By any chance when HMRC's are first enquiring you their question is something along the lines of " What amount of dividends have you drawn "?.

Well they have enquired all of us on the 07 /08 form.

Comment

Originally posted by juststarting View Post
          By any chance when HMRC's are first enquiring you their question is something along the lines of " What amount of dividends have you drawn "?.

Well they have enquired all of us on the 07 /08 form.
          The answer is on the return. You signed the return. HMRC does not need to ask any further questions. He can also get the PSC accounts and shareholdings from Companies House. HMRC may be doing nothing more than ensuring the right gross up for tax credit purposes.

NEVER accept verbal questions. If they have a serious question they will put it in writing. If they don't they're on a fishing trip.
          Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
          "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

The answer is on the return. You signed the return. HMRC does not need to ask any further questions. He can also get the PSC accounts and shareholdings from Companies House. HMRC may be doing nothing more than ensuring the right gross up for tax credit purposes.

In this case HMRC themselves have admitted the purpose of the Services Companies box. ( i.e IR35 targeting ) hence I don't have to argue with you.

This can be confirmed by CIOT/ICAEW Members.

Comment

That doesn't constitute an enquiry. Thats due process of capturing a tax return. Where do you think you are? 1980's Russia?

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
                Where do you think you are? 1980's Russia?
                Sometimes feels like we're heading that way.

Comment

Anybody who doesn't want to do it online!

tim

Comment

Crikey - trolls eh?

My experience:

A letter arrives on the mat saying that Hector would like to conduct a PAYE review of the company. He turns up with a standard list of IR35 type questions which he asks and jots down your answers. He asks for all contracts and all company paperwork. He takes it all away. Some while later a letter arrives saying you owe what you owe. Your paperwork is returned. Easy. Nothing to be frightened about.

In my case I owed about a grand. I had been operating outside of IR35 for 5 years. My inspector was like most of them out there. Paid peanuts and was just interested in getting home to skive off the rest of the day. I suppose I could have been unlucky and got one who wanted to save the world from types like me, but I didn't.

The trouble is, we never hear about the IR35 inspections that are like mine - we are only bombarded by the 'horror' inspections like dragonfly, which some of us would cynically say are used on sites like this to promote IR35 services. I wish some more people would post about the inspections that were OK.

Comment

Working...
                    X