• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

closing down my limited company and leaving the uk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

closing down my limited company and leaving the uk

Hello.
    I have been working as an IT contractor for 2.5 years and I have now left the country .
    I have approx. 60k on my company bank account.

What is the best way to withdraw all this money from the company account ?

What are the risk of not paying corporation taxes etc ......

Originally posted by kienast View Post
    Hello.
    I have been working as an IT contractor for 2.5 years and I have now left the country .

Have you asked your accountant?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Hello.

The best approach is probably to make an application under ESC16 and have the monies distributed to the shareholders as capital rather than as a dividend.

I would not advise taking the money without paying an outstanding CT liabilities as this is commonly known as fraud!

If you'd like some help closing the company please do feel free to drop me a PM.

Regards.

David.
      Low cost accountancy solutions for contractors

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Contracting View Post
        The best approach is probably to make an application under ESC16 and have the monies distributed to the shareholders as capital rather than as a dividend.

I would not advise taking the money without paying an outstanding CT liabilities as this is commonly known as fraud!

If you'd like some help closing the company please do feel free to drop me a PM.

Regards.

David.
        If he's left the country and ceased to be UK resident, a dividend is likely to be more tax-efficient than a capital distribution from a UK perspective but there is no way of knowing which is better from the perspective of the new jurisdiction he has moved to without asking him where that is.

The quality of accountancy advice on these boards really is deteriorating. every other response I look at is incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
          If he's left the country and ceased to be UK resident, a dividend is likely to be more tax-efficient than a capital distribution from a UK perspective but there is no way of knowing which is better from the perspective of the new jurisdiction he has moved to without asking him where that is.

The quality of accountancy advice on these boards really is deteriorating. every other response I look at is incorrect.
          Risk of corporation tax exit charge now if the UK authorities decide the company has become non resident?

[I don't know if this could ever actually happen in practice though]

Comment

Here is the reply from my AC.

"1) You can keep the company but in a dormant state and continue to withdraw dividends. You cannot continue to take a salary as you will not be working through the company. Dividends paid to non-uk residents are not liable to any further tax in the UK, but you would have to check the the tax treatment in your country of residence. Dormant companies still have to file accounts at companies house and if you retain funds in the company which attract interest you may also have to file a corporation tax return.

2) You can close the company down and either take all the remaining funds out as a dividend after you have left the UK, or you can apply for the payment to be treated as a Capital Gain on the winding up of the company. If you are moving abroad permanently this may mean no liability for tax in the UK, but again you would need to know the tax treatment in your country of residence. "

This is clear enough to me . What is not clear is what can happens in you dont pay your CT before leaving .....

Rgds
            K.

Comment

This is clear enough to me . What is not clear is what can happens in you dont pay your CT before leaving .....
              That is simply tax fraud so they could potentially take steps to recover the tax from you via the authorities at your new country of residence or try and recover it if/when you return to the UK.

Comment

You wouldn't need to pay it before you leave, only when it is due.

If you choose not to pay it then you'll be hit by interest until it is paid. If you incorrectly/don't bother to complete the return, then penalties would normally be added. Potentially 100%.

CT is around 20%, so not really excessive.

Comment

Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
                  That is simply tax fraud so they could potentially take steps to recover the tax from you via the authorities at your new country of residence or try and recover it if/when you return to the UK.
                  What would happen if, for example, he/her/it was to charge their company some hefty professional fees before the CT was due, leaving nothing left to pay the CT with?

Comment

Originally posted by Nom de Plume View Post
                    What would happen if, for example, he/her/it was to charge their company some hefty professional fees before the CT was due, leaving nothing left to pay the CT with?
                    In all likelihood those expenses would not be allowable for CT purposes by virtue of them not being incurred for the purposes of the trade.

And even if they were allowable, they would be taxable in the hands of the recipient so you would be swapping one liability for another, although I guess it is possible that the receipient would not be liable to UK tax if they have ceased to be UK tax resident.

Comment

Working...
                    X