• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dragonfly tax bill and corporation tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
    Interesting. Another reason to not go into higher rate bracket at any point.
    Hmmm. So this means you'll build up funds in your company over time.

Can your company "store" funds in a Swiss bank account?

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post

Your company can bank where it likes. But that might not actually be answering the question.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post

Unless you are "income shifting"

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          There is a whole bunch of stuff somewhere in the deemed calculation about this. This is to allow offsets of amounts effectively paid.

At the time of IR35 creation I made the following observation in my correspondence with my MP:-

Year 1 profit of 100k. Pay 20k corp tax and 80 dividends. As a result of the dividends about 10k of higher rate tax is actually paid.

Subsequently found in IR35 and as such a deemed salary of 95k is assessed on the individual. The individual is then assessed based on this salary. There is a deduction available (usually as far as I can work out) for the CT but NOT for the higher rate tax already paid by the individual.

I did get a reply via my MP from some bod at HMRC, however this didn't really address things and merely stated that there was no element of double taxation. I was not convinced.

It may have improved, there may be a way of restating the accounts or obtaining other relief against the income tax and NI - but I couldn't work out how.
          Have a look at the Finance Act 2000:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...17_en_39#sch12

Part 7 details the deemed calculation. It does not mention offsetting CT so I don't think this is included in the calculations.

Part 13 details "claims for relief". Note subsection (3):

"If on a claim being made the Inland Revenue are satisfied that relief should be given in order to avoid a double charge to tax, they shall give such relief by way of amending any assessment, by discharge or repayment of tax, or otherwise, as appears to them appropriate."

So from this, I beleive the 99k Dragonfly bill DOES NOT include any cliams on relief that may be made and so could be substantially less, if HMRC agree to the claim.

Comment

Is this the "service companies" question of P4?

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
              Is this the "service companies" question of P4?
              This is being discussed on this thread:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ax-return.html

By the way hmrc have worded it - we all have to complete this box??

Comment

Working...
              X