• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Change to contract on Renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change to contract on Renewal

I have been working for Unisys via an agency for about 3 years , getting 6 monthly renewals, however the renewal sent to me this time has had the foll0wing clause added :

The Company shall not and shall procure that any Resource provided in the performance of the
    services in the course of the Assignment shall not, whether directly or indirectly through any
    company, partnership or person, solicit nor enter into any contract with the Client or with any third
    party introduced to the Company or any Resource by the Client, to provide any services of the same
    or a similar nature to those required in the course of the Assignment during the Assignment Period
    or during the twelve months following the Assignment period without AGENCY prior written consent,
    which consent may be withheld in AGENCY absolute discretion or granted, subject to any conditions
    AGENCY may wish to impose.

i work through my own limited company , i have asked the agency and they say verbally that this clause was added because some staff who were site based left on a friday and started direct for the client on the monday and providing i work my notice period the clause doesn't affect me.

the reason i am worried is that i have been approached by a company who do work for one of the clients customers to do a not dissimilar role on more money..can i leave after my notice period and then work for this other company doing basically the same job for one of their customers.

Originally posted by chriswilde View Post
    I have been working for Unisys via an agency for about 3 years , getting 6 monthly renewals, however the renewal sent to me this time has had the foll0wing clause added :

The Company shall not and shall procure that any Resource provided in the performance of the
    services in the course of the Assignment shall not, whether directly or indirectly through any
    company, partnership or person, solicit nor enter into any contract with the Client or with any third
    party introduced to the Company or any Resource by the Client, to provide any services of the same
    or a similar nature to those required in the course of the Assignment during the Assignment Period
    or during the twelve months following the Assignment period without AGENCY prior written consent,
    which consent may be withheld in AGENCY absolute discretion or granted, subject to any conditions
    AGENCY may wish to impose.

i work through my own limited company , i have asked the agency and they say verbally that this clause was added because some staff who were site based left on a friday and started direct for the client on the monday and providing i work my notice period the clause doesn't affect me.

the reason i am worried is that i have been approached by a company who do work for one of the clients customers to do a not dissimilar role on more money..can i leave after my notice period and then work for this other company doing basically the same job for one of their customers.
    If you dont like the clause then cross it out or dont sign the renewal.

My agency tried this on me. I accepted the handcuffs as far as the client was concerned but pointed out that there is no relationship beyond MyCo, Agent and ClientCo that they can reasonably claim to have any claim on. I asked them to remove the bit about third parties etc.

I think the legal bods will tell you about restrictions to trade and stuff.

Go and work for the new company. DOnt tell the agent.

IANAL. I am not qualified to give this advice.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Yep its all tulip.

There is no way they can hold you to it only yourco (who the contract is with).

Nothing to stop you starting a new Ltd co and contracting with the client after all your co cannot tell you who the work for including your new co.

Remove the third party stuff though.

Comment

Working...
      X