• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mor4 View Post
    Hi Guys

I have been told by Badenoch & Clarke the following :

I need to register for VAT , why ?

Thanks
    Because they have a lazy "tick sheet" way of dealing with Ltds

and one of the ticks on their sheet says

"Register company for VAT".

I was once told by my accountant (in the era when it made financial sense) "you need to buy a company car", without him making the slightest attempt to find out whether I had the need/desire for a valuable car or not.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
      Because they have a lazy "tick sheet" way of dealing with Ltds

and one of the ticks on their sheet says

"Register company for VAT".
      My previous accountant told me to go with the VAT Flat Rate Scheme. I had already worked out I'd be better off outside it, so I queried it. I was right.

When I changed accountants, the new one said "and you are in the FRS of course". He was surprised when I said "No" and he said it is an automatic no-brainer. I explained I'm better off outside it.

Dammit, I've gone through the past 8 years' accountants: every year I am better off outside the FRS.

So, yes, accountants DO give advice without thinking, let alone checking an individual's circumstances.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        My previous accountant told me to go with the VAT Flat Rate Scheme. I had already worked out I'd be better off outside it, so I queried it. I was right.
        I was better off inside, but it was only about £10 per month because of the mileage I was doing. Don't assume the FRS is all good.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
        X