• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accounting Software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accounting Software

Having gone over a number of posts on the forum it appears that many contractors have problems with accountants.

As a newbie I would be interested to know if anybody does all their own accounting themselves, and if so do they use any type of accounting software.

Originally posted by Taggs101 View Post
    Having gone over a number of posts on the forum it appears that many contractors have problems with accountants.

As a newbie I would be interested to know if anybody does all their own accounting themselves, and if so do they use any type of accounting software.
    Yes. Excel only.

QB.

Comment

I use Quickbooks 2006, though this is in addition to having an accountant. It works well enough once you've got your head around it.

I don't recommend operating without an accountant, though - they should be able to save you enough time and money to justify their fees, and if they don't then you should get a different one.
      Plan A is located just about here.
      If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

I'd suggest an Excel spreadsheet AND an accountant.

There are a number of people disgruntled with their accountant on this post but this is because nobody is likely to post about how good their accountant is. I wouldn't be put off by these posters but do seek referrals and research your accountant throroughly.

If you absolutely insist on not using an accountant then have a look at www.moneysoft.co.uk. There's a good simple book-keeping package which could suit. (I'd still get an accountant though!)
        Last edited by Alan @ BroomeAffinity; 23 July 2008, 10:31.

Comment

Old version of MS Money + accountant for me too.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
            Me too.

Comment

I use Sage Instant Accounting and instant payroll and I do all my own book keeping / accounting / payroll. Takes maximum 10 mins per week to keep it updated..

Simple as:-

1) Money in.

2) Money out.

Check the balance at the end matches your bank balance (business account).

End of year payroll - do it myself, Sage send you a booklet with step by step instructions. Forms are submitted online through their software pre-filled in etc.

End of year accounts (CT600 - corporation tax) I pay an accountant to do this.
              The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post

There are a number of people disgruntled with their accountant on this post but this is because nobody is likely to post about how good their accountant is. I wouldn't be put og off buy these posters but do seek referrals and research your accountant throroughly.

If you absolutely insist on not using an accountant then have a look at www.moneysoft.co.uk. There's a good simple book-keeping package which could suit. (I;d still get an accountant though!)
                You forgot to tell him you are an accountant yourself and that your post is not in any way bias.
                The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Sorry - I am an accountant and my post is in no way biased. That better?

Comment

Originally posted by Taggs101 View Post

I use Excel. And my accountants are great

Comment

Working...
                    X