• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension from 55 question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension from 55 question

Hi
    So you pay into a pension thing which you get out at 55.

If you divorce before you're 55 would your ex-wife get their hands on any of that pension?

say you separate when you're both 40 it would seem very unfair 15 years later for her to get some of that

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    Hi
    So you pay into a pension thing which you get out at 55.

If you divorce before you're 55 would your ex-wife get their hands on any of that pension?

say you separate when you're both 40 it would seem very unfair 15 years later for her to get some of that
    Yes your pension will go into the pot to be shared. She wouldn't have to wait until you are 55, the divorce court can dip into your fund at the time of the divorce. (I presume it gets transferred into a pension for her, but not sure.)

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
      Yes your pension will go into the pot to be shared. She wouldn't have to wait until you are 55, the divorce court can dip into your fund at the time of the divorce. (I presume it gets transferred into a pension for her, but not sure.)
      oh my, not even that is safe

Comment

Nothing is.

Bottom line...if you don't want to get fleeced, don't get married.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
          Nothing is.

Bottom line...if you don't want to get fleeced, don't get married.
          Let's try and be a bit more positive about equality issues - marry a rich chick and fleece her!

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
            You get divorced, you both fill in Form E's which is basically an individual financial statement. You then sit down and thrash out who gets to keep what etc. If there's a pension pot then there are various options. You can "earmark" it - other half gets a % when you take benefits in the future - not a commonly used option. You can "offset" it - i.e. you keep the pension, she gets the house type of thing. Or you can "share" it. It's calculated at its current value, you agree a % split of that value and the % is transferred now into a pension in her name and you both move on independantly from a pensions point of view.

Comment

Working...
            X