• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Protection for Business Bank Accounts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protection for Business Bank Accounts?

Apologies if this has been discussed before (couldn't find on search), but does anybody know what protection exists for small businesses in the event of a banking collapse?

I know that personal deposits up to £35K are covered through the FSA compensation scheme, but is there anything similar in place for small businesses, should a bank go under?

I'm not naturally a paranoid person, but I'm wondering if I should re-think my strategy of letting money build up in the ltd. co. account!

Thanks in advance!

Small businesses are also covered.

Comment

It's a sensible question considering how many of us operate.

I looked into this too and the compensation scheme appears to cover all accounts, currently to £35k with a proposal for that to increase to £50k in the not too distant future.
      Don't forget that's £35k per insured institution and large banking groups tend to be registered as a single institution so if you have money in RBS, NatWest and One Account it's all effectively in the nsame institution I believe. Moneysavingexpert.com has a list of linked banks on it somewhere and pretty thorough advice on this matter.

Comment

so anything above 35k is at risk?

Comment

A mate of mine has opened an account with Northern Rock (no tulip) - underwritten by the government now.
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
            A mate of mine has opened an account with Northern Rock (no tulip) - underwritten by the government now.
            The problem with NR business account is that its postal. I like this new fangled interweb thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
              so anything above 35k is at risk?
              Yep, spread that dosh around. I've just opened a HBOS account (5.25% gross for first year). Already have RBS and Alliance & Liecester (apparently in bad shape, but ho hum).

Comment

Working...
              X